Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Individual valves or manifold valves for a performance/handling airbag setup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Individual valves or manifold valves for a performance/handling airbag setup?

Hi Guys...
    Have a 1995 E34 525i that I plan on bagging in the next year but i'm more interested in a performance/handling-oriented setup and was thinking about the valves. Most people use a valve manifold like the AccuAir VU4 that is mounted somewhere in the trunk, etc. However, depending on where it is mounted, the length of air lines from the manifold to each airbag could be different lengths and theoretically, different air volumes. Since the "spring rate" provided by air springs is a function of the air volume and air pressure, would the differences in air volume created by different lengths of air lines to each bag make any difference? Would there be any benefit to running individual valves at each corner of the car (well, 2 valves really...1 fill, 1 dump) so that the length of hoses could be equalized and minimized? From a handling/performance standpoint would there be any benefit of doing this or is it a moot point? Curious on your thoughts...Thanks.

Alvin Caragay
    Shop Manager
    ARC Automotive, Inc.
    arcautomotive.com.ph
    Alvin Caragay
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica
    '02 BMW E39 540iT

It's such a small difference that you won't notice.

Comment

I did this math back when I was designing my system, and the difference in effective spring rate from, say 6" of 3/8" line versus 20' of 3/8" line was incredibly small. Really, the issue isn't minimizing hose lengths, but equalizing them side-to-side, so if you're really worried about it, just make sure your front two corners have the same length line, and your rear two have the same as each other as well.

Comment

Ok, fair enough. Either way I would make sure that both front and both rear lines were equal lengths, but if the difference is negligible it sounds like i'll just be using a valve manifold like the VU4. That makes the wiring much simpler. Thanks for the replies guys.

Alvin
        Alvin Caragay
        '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica
        '02 BMW E39 540iT

Comment

Working...
        X