This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help :How to clean up and seal surface rust

So picked up and e21 not too long ago. The paint looked pretty good for being original. It was all there and no fade or peeling. I brought it to San Francisco where its surrounded by the ocean, misty, rainy, and foggy. The car developed surface rust really quick.

I was thinking of picking up a porter cable 7424 soon to learn how to detail, and try and clean up some of the rust, and seal the rest the best I could.

I heard some of the air cooled guys who like rust and patina use a dodo juice wax to seal it? I also heard Menzerna products are good.

Any help is appreciated. Particularly from personal experience please.

from this

to this

pics of my other project as well

Last edited by mk3f.t.w.; 04-18-2014, 11:23 PM.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but if you want to get rid of that surface rust and make the car look good again, you need to repaint that panel. No amount of detailing will save it.
    Z32's rule! So do (surprisingly) non-leaking T-Tops

Comment

You won't be able to polish that off. You'll need to sand it, primer and a nice coat of paint should do the trick.

I wouldn't take the chance of having rust in the body of the car, I cleaned out mine heads to nails.

Comment

You can wash your car with CLR or Soft Scrub in those areas and a coat of cleaner wax will make it look better. It will come back when the layer of wax wears off. Ultimately it needs repainted.
        1949 Ford Chopped
        2007 Lexus GS350 AWD

Comment

Working...
        X