350 chevy swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 chevy swap

Some might have seen my post about my turd, but the motor i already started saving to build it. Does not need rebuild i just need a little more hp and stuff. But posting what i want to do to see if its a good idea. But started saving for big cam, solid lifters, rocker rollers, and an intake setup that i'm not sure about. I wanted to do individual throttle bodies but that is crazy expensive so vortec intake maybe, I know i want fuel injection that what i'm sure about i also seen a efi intake i think lol. so let me know what you think

Is it a 2 or 4 bolt main?

If it was me I'd go

.202 Vortec heads
    Weiand intake (Air gap preferably if hood clearance allows.)
    600 Holley
    HEI distributor.
    Dual Wideband setup. (Carbs aren't that scary if you can tune with a wideband.

You would have to look at your block casting to see what the real specs are on those engines. HP figures are all over the map depending on year and emissions figures.

Also, skip the solid lifters, not really worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
      Is it a 2 or 4 bolt main?

If it was me I'd go

.202 Vortec heads
      Weiand intake (Air gap preferably if hood clearance allows.)
      600 Holley
      HEI distributor.
      Dual Wideband setup. (Carbs aren't that scary if you can tune with a wideband.

You would have to look at your block casting to see what the real specs are on those engines. HP figures are all over the map depending on year and emissions figures.

Also, skip the solid lifters, not really worth it.
      I honestly did not think i would get any replies haha. But thats that helps out a lot I recently Came across some vortec heads well 305 double humps, that my grandpa an old hot rodder told me to look for. I really still want to go fuel injectors i just like the feel of the response given that a god carb set up can be awesome. I just really have wanted to also convert and older block to newer heads and intake. I've also torn down the motor and all is clean super clean for an old chevy block that i know was beat on a lot. but i'm also not worried about hood clearance. Its more or a ratty build anyways, I found msi timing stuff if that is the correct name a while back seems like a hard way to something not so complicated. Weiand intake i will look into. Why skip the solid lifters just curious I have heard odds and ends about them some stuff about needing constant adjustment but when tuned right can make a killer set up. Any clues on a good brand of a high lobed cam?

Comment

Also 4 bolt main. One more thing my landlord has a newer wreaked caddy in my backyard The v8 24 valve is that just a bad idea to even ask if i can buy it?

Comment

The Camel Hump (double hump) heads were good but they have now been surpassed by the Vortec Aluminum heads. If you have them and want something to start with they'll work but if you can afford to go Vortec at the start, do it. As for me and solid lifters. They're great for a really intense build. The allow the use of more aggressive cam profiles but they do wear quicker. As far as I remember, Comp Cams, Crower, Lunati and Isky make quality cams. Also if you do a build avoid Edelbrock stuff. All they do is buy other company's designs and sell them at jacked up prices.

Comment

The Camel Hump (double hump) heads were good but they have now been surpassed by the Vortec Aluminum heads. If you have them and want something to start with they'll work but if you can afford to go Vortec at the start, do it. As for me and solid lifters. They're great for a really intense build. The allow the use of more aggressive cam profiles but they do wear quicker. As far as I remember, Comp Cams, Crower, Lunati and Isky make quality cams. Also if you do a build avoid Edelbrock stuff. All they do is buy other company's designs and sell them at jacked up prices.
            Thanks dude. Yeah I'm still saving for some of the bigger stuff, i come from a long line of chevy guys so double hump heads are a dime a dozen in my grandpas garage. I want an aggressive street car, just really tired of this over rated 5.7 hemi with garbage for suspension and just awful auto trans. The r22 that used to be in the corona(the car the 350 is going in) was more fun to drive. It might be overkill to even just put the motor in it now the car weighs nothings but if i build a good enough motor i can sell it when im bored and buy something else that better on gas. From what i understood about solid lifters is that more valves are capable of opening at the same time. And also why i thought rocker rollers would go well with solid lifters to calm down an aggressive cam slapping the shat out of the liftiers all day. i could be wrong but that was my theory on going with solid lifter and keeping them in decent shape with the rocker rollers

Comment

Originally posted by frankdeson View Post
              Thanks dude. Yeah I'm still saving for some of the bigger stuff, i come from a long line of chevy guys so double hump heads are a dime a dozen in my grandpas garage. I want an aggressive street car, just really tired of this over rated 5.7 hemi with garbage for suspension and just awful auto trans. The r22 that used to be in the corona(the car the 350 is going in) was more fun to drive. It might be overkill to even just put the motor in it now the car weighs nothings but if i build a good enough motor i can sell it when im bored and buy something else that better on gas. From what i understood about solid lifters is that more valves are capable of opening at the same time. And also why i thought rocker rollers would go well with solid lifters to calm down an aggressive cam slapping the shat out of the liftiers all day. i could be wrong but that was my theory on going with solid lifter and keeping them in decent shape with the rocker rollers
              You ever consider doing a 5.3 Vortec swap? In some ways it might be more affordable than doing an SBC build.

Comment

You ever consider doing a 5.3 Vortec swap? In some ways it might be more affordable than doing an SBC build.
                I thought about it but i really wanted to build my own motor, and where i live kids are always wrecking stuff so i could go to The junkyard a pick up something. I have had the car for about a year now and i got the tree fiddy for free, so im doing the build mainly for experience and for fun. Going to get something and just bolting stuff on just would not be as much fun imo. I really wanted 1jz or a quad cam toyota truck motor but i would have to get one off the interwebs and ship it. And shipping would just kill my wallet.

Comment

Check out the TPI style intakes, more of the later 80's ones like the L98, good for top end. Since you'd have a big cam, you'd have the good low end where the TPI motors lack, and for like a full intake it's less than $500 I think? And the ECM's and stuff are cheap as well. And better than those god awful cold starts. I myself have a carbed 350, I don't know where you stand between fuel injection and carbs. But TPI is a cheap route and you can find the stuff cheap. Also porting the runners on those help a good bit as well!

Comment

Originally posted by frankdeson View Post
                    From what i understood about solid lifters is that more valves are capable of opening at the same time.
                    this is 100% wrong, you need to do a lot of research before you decide on what you want to do

solid lifters allow you to run a more aggressive cam profile and higher rpm unlike a hydraulic lifter that can "collapse" under high stress levels (high rpm, big cam etc.)

Originally posted by edirty6eddie View Post
                    Check out the TPI style intakes, more of the later 80's ones like the L98, good for top end. Since you'd have a big cam, you'd have the good low end where the TPI motors lack,
                    TPI intakes make only lowend torque and offer no top end power at all because the intake runners are so long, factory TPI motors are all out of steam at 45-4600rpm.

a "big cam" isnt going to give you low end power, a cam with more lift and duration than stock is going to raise your powerband into the higher rpm range

also, the only factory sbc heads that are even worth their weight in scrap are newer "vortec" heads off a 96-02 350, all of the "double hump" and "fuelie" heads that all the old timers think are the bees knees are crap compared to whats available nowadays

find a set of aluminum heads used that already have good springs in them, get them checked for straightness and cleaned and run them, by the time you get some old heads or vortecs and get the machine work done, stronger valvesprings and retainers to handle a more aggressive cam and the price difference for a vortec style intake manifold over a conventional style intake manifold you could have just bought the better aluminum heads to begin with

Comment

5.3 LM7 or even a 4.8 LR8 engine. you can pick up a turn-key intake to oil pan with wiring harness and ECM swap for right around $800. Hell, I was buying 5.3's at the local salvage yard for $250 intake to pan with hanress a while back and just flipping them on Craigslist,
                      78 GMC Sierra Grande AKA "Black Betty"-Bagged, chopped, stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
                        this is 100% wrong, you need to do a lot of research before you decide on what you want to do

solid lifters allow you to run a more aggressive cam profile and higher rpm unlike a hydraulic lifter that can "collapse" under high stress levels (high rpm, big cam etc.)

TPI intakes make only lowend torque and offer no top end power at all because the intake runners are so long, factory TPI motors are all out of steam at 45-4600rpm.

a "big cam" isnt going to give you low end power, a cam with more lift and duration than stock is going to raise your powerband into the higher rpm range

also, the only factory sbc heads that are even worth their weight in scrap are newer "vortec" heads off a 96-02 350, all of the "double hump" and "fuelie" heads that all the old timers think are the bees knees are crap compared to whats available nowadays

find a set of aluminum heads used that already have good springs in them, get them checked for straightness and cleaned and run them, by the time you get some old heads or vortecs and get the machine work done, stronger valvesprings and retainers to handle a more aggressive cam and the price difference for a vortec style intake manifold over a conventional style intake manifold you could have just bought the better aluminum heads to begin with
                        Thank you for posting. Stock TPI intakes are so much garbage that I have no clue why people love them so much.

1989 Chevy Camaro RS | 1981 Mercedes 500SE AMG

Originally posted by Skraight.
                        And don't let the **** from the guy above get to you, he said he is saving up to buy a del sol lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X