PDA

View Full Version : Spray wax thoughts?

SwagenGti
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Hey everyone, so since I got my M3 back in October, I have been using Optimum Spray wax (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-spray-wax.html)

Anyways, I have been using it about twice a month since I have had the car and while I like it; easy to apply, and pretty quick, it seems like once it rains the wax is pretty much gone. I don't have much experience with wax but when I had my GTI, I would wax with NXT tech 2.0. I only used it a few times so I don't remember much but I feel like even after a rain, the wax was still present; I could rub my hand across the car and it still felt like I had just applied the wax. The spray wax, seems to come off as soon as it rains.

Anyways, what are everyone's thoughts on spray wax? To me I guess it is a cheap/quick wax; quick and easy but doesn't last. I am sure chemically, and in terms of UV protection, spray waxes aren't instantly removed after a rain but please correct me if I am wrong.

Any recommendations on waxes? If anyone knows about some better spray waxes I would love to stick with them :D

pjurisprudencia
03-01-2014, 09:12 PM
I do believe the main point of wax was to deter rain from paint, haha, I use colkinite 458, polish your paint first and then a couple coats of collinite and water will just glide off. I love that stuff

SwagenGti
03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Well, it just seems like the waxing doesn't last as long...well doesn't last at all.

eVACK
03-04-2014, 11:45 AM
I have been using Mothers FX wax for years, for the price you can't beat it, it looks great and it last.

Sent from Mars

Kkoup
03-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Spray wax isent meant to really "last long" compared to actually waxing a car. Spray wax is for a quick on the go type deal or if you already waxed your car then the next time you wax it, you can spray your car to spruce it back up a little bit too keep the water beading longer. Buy yourself a good wax/sealent, Meguairs Ultimate Liquid Wax is a good wax/sealent that you can by instore or if you want a really good wax buy Pinnacle Souvern Liquid wax from autogeek. A good wax like a named will bead up water for 4-7 months.

Peeunit
05-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Sonax Extreme Brilliance shine is a great product. Lasts a couple of washes, beads like a wax but is as easy to use as a QD.

Excellent between waxes as well.

no, I don't work for Sonax either

SwagenGti
05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Maybe its just me then. But when waxing and it rains...if you aren't driving the water beads up and then drys to the car. This is normal correct?

peter_werks
07-11-2014, 10:46 AM
Spray wax, to me doesn't really have an intent to actually substitute a normal wax regiment. If you're gonna use it as a wax substitute then it's not gonna give good results. It works as a good cleaner tho, but even then you should really hose your car off first to get the dirt particles off or you risk scratching the paint if you through a detailer at dirty dusty etc paint. After I hose off, I spray the spray wax on the water that's on the car to help lube the wiping process. To me t hats spray waxes best use

SwagenGti
07-11-2014, 01:56 PM
It definitely aids in drying a somewhat wet car.