Gotta get lower!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta get lower!

Ok, so I have been searching for a cross reference to find a kit from another vehicle to fit my 2000 Lincoln LS.

So far I have not come up with anything. I cant afford bags for a while and I got lowering springs that are still showing a gap between tire and fender of at least 1".

Anyone?

i would look into thunderbird coilovers, or jaguar s type coilovers since the car platform is the same as though two cars. research it though.
    sigpic
    No Air, Like Jordin Sparks

Comment

I have but when aftermarket coilovers were made for the S-Types they were made after Jag revised the chassis and the mounts where then different. One of about 3 things that differ from the two vehicles chassis.

And as far as I know the Thunderbirds dont have any either.

I **** to have to cut springs but it seems like a few people on here are actually ok with it.

What do people do when coilover kits dont go low enough? Im sure lots of people are slammed 3"s+ without bags.
      Last edited by Lux; 04-06-2010, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Welcome to my world. I was in the same situation. I just cut my OEM springs and sold my drop springs. No more gap or reverse rake.

Comment

I guess thats what Im gunna have to do?

Leda used to sell a good set but the one guy that had links to the set dont return e-mails.

I been reading on here and I see lots of people cutting at least a fraction of a spring no matter what they get so long as its not bagged.

Comment

cut your drop springs especially if theres dead coils
            sigpic

Comment

Stanced ls? Victory in the making.

Comment

Any rule of thumb for how much coil should be cut?

1/4, 1/2, 1 whole?

Someone said 1/4 for every inch.

Comment

i would say start off cutting a little bit, cuz u can always cut more, you cant cut less. you should probably also upgrade your shocks too when u do it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Somethingoosted View Post
                    Stanced ls? Victory in the making.
                    Glad i'm not the only one that thinks so! Very excite!

Cole

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion
                    yeah it's got turbo and it looks decent stanced, but it's a fucking Neon, the survived-abortion of the 90's auto industry.

Comment

These things definitely dont make livin easy.

So much gap up front I ended up with a full coil. I cut little by little and got sick of it. By the time I was close enough I knew I might even need more than a full coil so I hacked the rest off.

Not bad up front. Working on this car is a PITA! the first time I did springs on it I was at it for 2 nights trying to get the studs aligned under the hood and bolted up.

I think before I do more cutting Im gunna get some pics and try my luck at guessing what size spacer I would end up with.

Comment

yo quiero picturas!
                        sigpic

Comment

Ok, so heres a dilemma.

The fronts needed at least a full coil and Im still debating on going lower.

Naturally to even it out I started with a full coil out back.

Now with the nut on the damper they wobble. They stay seated but wobble slightly so I taped them in place till I bolted on the lower mount which holds them in place fine.

Unless I go Dukes of Hazard and start doing some silly shit like jumping doubles and all Im a-ok.

However Im still nervous about it and I still need to go lower still.

Now, can anyone lend a hand on how to find a shorter strut?

I dont have any aftermarket thats not a direct replacement for OEM.

There are 3 struts on different trim packages for the LS. The basic has basic struts, the sport which I have has sport struts ( which I am told are damn good struts ) and some sports have a elusive Euro.

Now the basics suck that I know, the sports are good, not to hard not to soft from what I gather, and the Euros are hard as rock and really not a good idea but none of them are any shorter than the other so Im left with swapping.

How do I measure everything and do the research to find a set of struts that would work?

Im gunna do spacers next. Any more slammage is on hold for now. It may just be my eyes. I might actually be ok after spacers but I know Im tired of this rubber band look.

Im gunna stretch but use a good size sidewall.

Right now its 235/35 but I need more tire.

And I **** the spring. I just washed the pig last night real nice like and its covered in pollen!
                          Last edited by Lux; 04-08-2010, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Anytime you cut springs they won't sit in there tight. Ring your local shock shop and ask what other cars will be compatible. They will have the info on all makes and models, lengths and what not. We used to zip tie the springs in with big fuckers and unless your cabbage they won't fall out, ie getting a three wheel going

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
                              Anytime you cut springs they won't sit in there tight. Ring your local shock shop and ask what other cars will be compatible. They will have the info on all makes and models, lengths and what not. We used to zip tie the springs in with big fuckers and unless your cabbage they won't fall out, ie getting a three wheel going

Im gunna try this chassis shop near me and this place that claims to do only hot rods. If I tell them I have some cash Im sure they would do something for me. If your building street rods Im sure you have built coilovers for more than a few of them in this day and age.

The struts just a tad to short. I had no problem with the front which is weird cause the front is shorter.

Comment

Working...
                              X