coilover question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coilover question

just got some megan coilovers with 8kg springs and 32 way adjustable shocks on my rolla.

theyre maxed out to its lowest setting and im not as low as i want to be.

but i know if compress the spring, by turning the preload seat up, i can go lower.

is messing with the preload a bad idea? and what alternatives can i do to get lower? cut the spring? get shorter/softer springs?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

heres a pic. i want to go maybe a half an inch to an inch lower. i know if get lower profile tires i can get lower too, theyre currently 205/60/13

heres a good pic of how not-low it looks, lol.
    Last edited by jeremyuhh; 04-06-2010, 06:37 AM.

Originally posted by jeremyuhh View Post
    theyre maxed out to its lowest setting and im not as low as i want to be.

but i know if compress the spring, by turning the preload seat up, i can go lower.

is messing with the preload a bad idea? and what alternatives can i do to get lower? cut the spring? get shorter/softer springs?
    Preloading the springs on most coilovers is counter productive as it almost always loads the suspension with the shock at full extention(full height). This is not where you want to be on a street car. The only suspensions I know of that take advantage of the type of preload are stadium trucks that are landing jumps and need a higher initial spring rate for the impact of landing. The correct way to get lower in most street cars is to get a shorter spring with a slightly higher rate.

Erik

Comment

hmm. i see. but with a higher rate, meaning stiffer ride, wouldnt it be too stiff/uncomfortable for DD and street use?

Comment

hmm. i see. but with a higher rate, meaning stiffer ride, wouldnt it be too stiff/uncomfortable for DD and street use?

Suspension is all about compromise.

you want it stiff enough your tires don't meet your chassis but soft enough to absorb bumps in the road.

Generally stanced cars use pretty aggressive rates and the only way to make them relatively comfortable is with properly matched dampers(shocks)

from what I've read so far an 8kg spring may be fine for your car but you may need one with a height if 5" instead of 7" (no clue what your coilovers are running just giving a typical example)

Comment

i see. Well i currently have 8kg at 7 or 7.5 inches tall. i also have 32 way adjustable shocks...

so do you match stiff springs with soft shocks or stiff springs with stiff shocks?

so lets say i run 10kg/mm springs with about 5.5inches tall... i would adjust my shocks to the softest setting?

Comment

i see. Well i currently have 8kg at 7 or 7.5 inches tall. i also have 32 way adjustable shocks...

so do you match stiff springs with soft shocks or stiff springs with stiff shocks?

so lets say i run 10kg/mm springs with about 5.5inches tall... i would adjust my shocks to the softest setting?
            no if you ran 10kg/mm springs you would be near full hard on your dampner settings. but really if you like the spring rates you have now you likely just need 5 inch height 8kg spring for example.

BTW below is a quote from Megan's site looks like 8kg 10kg and 6kg would be the only options you have with your coilovers.

VERY IMPORTANT: Our damper kits were designed within a 2Kg+/- Tolerance from their stock rate. Meaning a damper with a 10Kg rate can only utilize between 8Kg and 12Kg Spring Rates. The use of a spring rate that is beyond the tolerances of the damper may damage the damper and MAY CAUSE THE VEHICLE TO BECOME UNSTABLE.

Comment

oh yea i forgot about that. but i think i get it now.

so just to make sure, the stiffer the spring the harder i adjust my shocks ?

and will cutting my current spring suffice, or is that just ghetto/not recommended?

Comment

Well the shock adjustment has to do with the unsprung weight on that corner vs. the sprung weight vs. spring rate but generally you have it correct Stiffer springs = Stiffer shock settings.

You will want to buy new (shorter) springs, ugly things can happen if you cut springs on coilovers and they don't seat properly.

Erik

Comment

got it. thanks a lot for your help. appreciate it

Comment

Working...
                  X