This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help wiring homemade switchbox

Okay guys. Like the title says, I'm making my own switch box controller.

This is my plan:
    - (4) SPDT momentary (on) off (on) toggle switches. To individually control each corner.
    - (2) DPDT momentary (on) off (on) toggle switches to control Front/Rear
    - (1) 4PST momentary (on) off toggle or push button to fully dump.

I've found the SPDTs and the DPDTs fairly easily, but I'm having trouble finding a 4PST MOMENTARY switch. I've found a few regular non-momentary on/off toggles but that is not satisfactory. I've also considered a 4PDT and just leave half open, or end up using it to raise all for corners(even though I really don't need that because my front and rears won't be at equal pressure).

Do I need to just buy a relay and use that in combination with a SPST momentary (on) off toggle or push button?

Please help me out here. Sorry if this is all too confusing. I tried my best to explain it. I'm very new to wiring and really have no idea what's going on haha.

One more question. It's alright to wire the switches one after another, right? Like solder the FrontLeftUP wire to its post on the SPDT, then solder it directly from the SPDT to it's place on the DPDT, then either to the relay or the 4PST/4PDT? If they're all isolated I don't really see the problem, but you may know more than I do.

Any input is seriously very appreciated. Thanks!!

How is the wiring set up in an actual switchbox? Should I just buy one and take it apart?

Comment

Have you considered using simple diodes to isolate the signal from each switch? That would effectively eliminate the necessity for DPDT on the F/R switches and 4P on the all-down, and diodes are awfully cheap.

As far as wiring the switches "one after another" the way you've described, that'll be fine.

Were it me, I'd eliminate the F/R switches, since your corners aren't likely to respond precisely the same and you'll have to adjust individually anyway. I would be tempted to put in a timer relay on the dump button with a 10-second or so latch so that you don't have to hold the button down. That's just me, though, and that might be too fussy for your tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh Damn, it's Sam View Post
        Have you considered using simple diodes to isolate the signal from each switch? That would effectively eliminate the necessity for DPDT on the F/R switches and 4P on the all-down, and diodes are awfully cheap.

As far as wiring the switches "one after another" the way you've described, that'll be fine.

Were it me, I'd eliminate the F/R switches, since your corners aren't likely to respond precisely the same and you'll have to adjust individually anyway. I would be tempted to put in a timer relay on the dump button with a 10-second or so latch so that you don't have to hold the button down. That's just me, though, and that might be too fussy for your tastes.

Well you see, I don't know what diodes are haha, but thanks! I'll look into that. As for the 10 second relay, thats a great idea! Are there a few websites you could give me that are dedicated to this stuff? I just keep finding a bunch of junk on ebay and a couple random sketchy sites

Comment

If you're looking for websites with parts and electrical goodies,Waytek and Del City are good sources, though I tend to get most of my goodies of Amazon, frankly. For specific stuff like switches and fuse boxes, I am a huge huge fan of the folks at OTRATTW.

Comment

Working...
          X