Modifying M52 Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying M52 Head

Hi guys, I'm looking for a little bit of advice/reassurance.

At the minute I drive a standard 323i E36. I'm planning on doing a little engine work over winter and I have a few questions on modifying the head.

I'm not looking for huge increases in power, I'm more interested in economy, I'm a student so fuel is expensive.

Apart from new gaskets and bolts, is there anything else that I would need/should replace?

This is my daily driver, so I plan on getting another head, have my father port/polish etc and swap it all over one weekend.

If the head is skimmed, can I adjust the timing chain?

Cheers guys

might wanna take this over to bf.c
    025garage

Comment

Originally posted by vgrntbeauxner View Post
      might wanna take this over to bf.c
      I'd rather wait and see what people have to say here first haha

Comment

I don't know why you would port/polish if you're not looking for making more power.
        I would not bother to swap the head personally.
        Best thing for fuel economy is fixing all vacuum leaks post MAF and exhaust leaks pre oxygen sensor. Oil change, do the engine, trans and diff oil. Then some new plugs.

And if you have access to an engine scanner look for fault codes. and see if the engine switches over to open loop when it gets warm. Basically the car runs in closed loop when its cold, meaning it takes no input from the oxygen sensor or maf. And just chucks a "large" amount of fuel in the engine dependent on the TPS, this is done so the engine will warm up faster. When engine car gets warm, it will switch over to open loop, taking info from the o2 sensor, maf and tps. It will adjust the fuel amount all the time, and it will be more economic. There are a few sensors that can cause the car not going into open loop, such as the temp sensors. So such a simple thing as a temp sensor can cause the car to burn A LOT more fuel.

Best thing for power on the m52b25 is to run a m50b25 exhaust and m50b25 intake. Should put you close to 190ish hp and have around the same amount of torque.
        Last edited by Zic; 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Well, see, I would like more power. Just economy would be nice too.

Plus, this way is cheaper for me than sourcing all the necessary bits for the manifold conversion, which I want to avoid because it can obviously be seen as an "Modification", increased insurance etc. I'll be doing the 328i exhaust

I'll look into the areas you suggested as well, the car needs serviced before winter anyway.

Comment

Ah alright then.
            The m50 conversion can be done cheaply if you know how to plastic weld.
            Oooh your laws suck. I can drop a m3 engine in a e36 and no one will know and the insurance will be the same. I got my 320i that was powered by a 2.5l through the inspection with no problems.
            And a s50b30 swap that i helped in, went to the inspection as well.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Yeah, our laws/insurance aren't fun.

Went to see about a head today, dude was asking £100 which is way more than I want to pay. Looks like this will be an eBay job

Comment

Here in the US, all the heads are the same minus the addition of s50 and s52 cams. Might want to source a set of those, they will def up your power with a tune.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                  Here in the US, all the heads are the same minus the addition of s50 and s52 cams. Might want to source a set of those, they will def up your power with a tune.
                  Thanks Jaze.

I think the heads are the same here as well, but not %100 sure. Need to do some more research

Comment

Working...
                  X