Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tech Question: Does slamming your car add stress to the differential/drivetrain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Question: Does slamming your car add stress to the differential/drivetrain?

I know the steering and other suspension components take a little abuse but im mostly concerned about my differential (ap1 s2000) taking some extra stress.

Does anyone have some actually technical info on this?

No. Unless you're low enough to scrape it on something there should be no stress on the trans/diff.

-Dan

Comment

It depends. Is there a definite 'yes' or 'no'? Unfortunately that is not the case. Some things to consider depending on how much you lower the vehicle. The ride height is designed to be at a certain level. If you drop it you change suspension geometry and angles. Items like bearings, bushings etc could be receiving extra stress.

The S2K has a diff and then axles on each side. Normally they are at X angle. Dropping it they could be outside of the 'norm' and cause premature failure. For sure? Nope. They could still be inside the 'norm' and have a normal life.

I honestly wouldn't worry about it much though. Plenty of people drift them. Drive hard. Do burnouts. Slide them around. Haven't read/seen much about premature diff failure. Modification always brings the potential for less life. Many parts are for sure going to offer a lower life span. Altering or changing can also extend the life. That is the wonderful world of modification.

Comment

If you have IRS or IFS on the drive wheels it can put some undo stress on the CV Joints. Most of the stress is in binding up the suspension. This can be fixed sometimes.

The driveline should stay the same since its alignment is not dependent upon the ride height of the automobile.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

there is an s2000 specific problem with slamming them past a certain amount. You get space between the driveshaft roller and the spider gear and it makes the joint wear funny, and i believe its under deceleration that you feel the rear end sort of shudder. All you have to do is buy a driveshaft spacer to correct the problem. Other than that i haven't heard of any other issues with s2000's

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
            there is an s2000 specific problem with slamming them past a certain amount. You get space between the driveshaft roller and the spider gear and it makes the joint wear funny, and i believe its under deceleration that you feel the rear end sort of shudder. All you have to do is buy a driveshaft spacer to correct the problem. Other than that i haven't heard of any other issues with s2000's
            he is right. just on springs though mine started to do it. From what I could gather it wasn't a huge deal, more an annoyance of the vibrating in the rear and possibly it wearing in the wrong spot.

Comment

Originally posted by s2klay View Post
              he is right. just on springs though mine started to do it. From what I could gather it wasn't a huge deal, more an annoyance of the vibrating in the rear and possibly it wearing in the wrong spot.

A drive line vibration is normally something that should be address. A vibe at 80mph is pretty significant. I would get something like that worked out personally.

Comment

im not worried about vibrations, just added stress on the CVs on a round trip to florida this summer..

Comment

Originally posted by nick. View Post
                  im not worried about vibrations, just added stress on the CVs on a round trip to florida this summer..
                  A driveline vibration, if present, is an issue that is obvious. If you choose to ignore it you will have premature failure at some point.

As said with people more experienced being excessively low can cause some extra stress. How much? Don't know personally.

Comment

i mean it wont fail, a couple of friends with an s2k drove around like that for a few months and it was fine, but theres a relatively cheap solution. Id much rather add a $200 spacer than take appart a diff and change those gears, which im sure is waaay more expensive. Just sayin.

Comment

i mean it wont fail, a couple of friends with an s2k drove around like that for a few months and it was fine, but theres a relatively cheap solution. Id much rather add a $200 spacer than take appart a diff and change those gears, which im sure is waaay more expensive. Just sayin.
                      This. Fix it now or forever hold your peace. Trust me, I rather spend a few hundred on something that will fix a upcoming problem then having to replace/tear into the diff and still have to pay for the spacer.

-Dan

Comment

It won't fail? A driveline vibration is a problem. It needs to be addressed. A few months doesn't mean it is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
                          It won't fail? A driveline vibration is a problem. It needs to be addressed. A few months doesn't mean it is fine.
                          well i meant immediately, it'll wear funny, but there is the possibility depending on drop of it skipping teeth. Like i said, if the solution is readily available and its relatively cheap, then theres no excuse.

Comment

buy the driveshaft spacer and slam it to the ground!!!
                            1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
                            Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

well i meant immediately, it'll wear funny, but there is the possibility depending on drop of it skipping teeth. Like i said, if the solution is readily available and its relatively cheap, then theres no excuse.
                              Definitely. I misunderstood what you were saying. Driveline vibes are no joke. When you see a major problem first hand in various vehicles... you make sure you pay attention.

Comment

Working...
                              X