This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Install (as opposed to trunk install) Z3

Is this a first for StanceWorks? All components hidden under the hood in order to keep the trunk functional...

-Air lift universal front struts
    -Universal Air AirHouseII rear bags
    -Stock shocks
    -Viair 380 Compressor
    -SMC water trap
    -SMC check valve
    -RideTech manifold valves
    -2 Viair 1 gallon tanks
    -1/4" line

It was on Strange Engineering S2000EM shocks for a while, which allow the rear to go a little lower. 10 way adjustable which matches the front struts. Using them with the stock shock mounts caused a rather annoying rattle, so I went back to stock until I figure out how to quiet them down.

Been running for about 4 months and 3000 miles now. Other than chasing a couple leaks early on, it's working flawlessly. Daily driven, comfortable, practical... the ride with my normal settings is slightly stiffer than stock. Total cost is about $1300 after taking my time and finding good deals and used parts.

Ride height with my awesome winter wheels/tires...

Aired out:

Full lift:

4 E36 power top switches

Air tank number 1.

Air tank number 2 in the driver corner of the front bumper... can barely see it down there

Had to delete the fog lights for it. Thankfully, BMW makes blank-out covers. Bonus, you get to see my perfect paint.

Management...

Every inch of the lines are covered with a vinyl/fiberglass heat and abrasion resistant sleeve. I wanted this extra protection due to where the lines are run.

Front struts...

Rear bags. Lines are run through the side skirts. Standard E30 mounting

Aired out on HRE 540s... 18x8 et37 215/35/18

New wheels are paid for. Going back to a set of single piece OEM wheels in the name of keeping it practical. Still very rare and unique though.

dont see that every day

Comment

Best part is the E36 switches. Very clean set up and one wouldn't think twice aside from the repetition of the convertible top symbols lol.

I like the idea of hiding all the components but personally I think its poorly executed. I'm not one to leave negative comments, but I think if you cleaned it up, this would look 10x better.

Its still a cool concept though, I like it. A false trunk floor would achieve this in a much cleaner aspect, except it wouldn't be under the hood like yours which is what you were going for.

GLW with rest of the build!
      [Cut. Weld. Scrape. = Bagged e30 Build Thread]

[Instagram: Ritchie_30]

Comment

/\/\

What about it do you think is poorly executed? If you have some good suggestions, I would like to hear them.

There aren't a whole lot of options for mounting components, and I think I did a good job of keeping it simple. Wire harness is tucked away, lines are as direct as possible, and the number of fittings is kept to a minimum... many of the lines and wiring you see around the valves and compressor are not for the air. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's not much to clean up. It's pretty well tucked away and packed in there already.

As for a trunk install, I'm not sure you realize how tight it is... a false floor won't get you anywhere. There's about 1.5" under the carpet for the tool kit, and that's it. This is what you have to work with:

I think you can see why I went with the under-hood install instead.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
          //

What about it do you think is poorly executed? If you have some good suggestions, I would like to hear them.

There aren't a whole lot of options for mounting components, and I think I did a good job of keeping it simple. Wire harness is tucked away, lines are as direct as possible, and the number of fittings is kept to a minimum... many of the lines and wiring you see around the valves and compressor are not for the air. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there's not much to clean up. It's pretty well tucked away and packed in there already.

As for a trunk install, I'm not sure you realize how tight it is... a false floor won't get you anywhere. There's about 1.5" under the carpet for the tool kit, and that's it. This is what you have to work with:

I think you can see why I went with the under-hood install instead.
          Before I say more just know this is completely my opinion and I mean in no way to bash you or your vehicle.

The mounted tank in front of the radiator is awesome, why not take that idea and run with it? Build/have built a mounting plate which you would be able to fit the tank compressor and valves, It would give it a cooler look. Opening the hood and seeing the tank/air components right up front would be ballin.

What I specifically mean by clean is just that "clean" - free from dirt, dust, stains etc. Before you placed everything in the vehicle it would have added appeal if you shined it up a bit. I wasn't referring to your lines or amount of fittings which is a good set up, especially going across the cowl to blend the lines.

Trunk wise - Being a BMW Technician I've see plenty of these things in and out along with personally gutting them for water leaks. I know exactly what your speaking of but the tool kit could easily be removed

Comment

Physically clean, yeah, I can agree with you there. I've never been one to keep up on the engine bay. It was clean before installing, but it doesn't take look for a daily driver to get dusty again. There's a quarter million miles of dirt in this thing. I'll work on cleaning it.

Believe me, I looked at every mounting option you could think of. I even switched some components part way through the build to make it fit better. I did look at mounting more of it up front, but the main reason for not doing it was to not block air flow to the radiator. The compressor and valves are best where they are for a few reasons... battery connection is in the same place, routing wiring to the cabin is easy, passenger side lines take an easy dive straight down, driver side lines have a clean path, and it's all pretty well out of sight. Another Z3 on air also has the compressor and valves there... it's really a logical spot for these cars.

Tanks were a bitch to squeeze in. I seriously considered making a custom tank to go inside the bumper. The original plan was to remove the washer fluid tank, but even a 1 gallon wouldn't fit without hitting the hood. The tank in front of the radiator is acutally my least favorite part of the install. I would rather it be hidden out of sight... if only the passenger corner of the bumper was as open as the driver side, that's where it would have gone.

I'm still not with you on the trunk install... removing the tool kit doesn't gain much space. Now if someone were to make some super slim valves that would fit there (business idea?), I could see it. Still not for me though, since I use some of the tools. The 10mm wrench saved me at the side of the freeway a couple months ago.

In the end, it was never really meant to be a visually impressive install... just tidy and functional. It's fun when people ask to see the install at shows. They gather around the trunk, then look confused as hell as I open the hood. I'm sure they're bummed there's no custom paint, shiny bits, or fake wood, but it's impressive in a different way.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleAnderson View Post
              Physically clean, yeah, I can agree with you there. I've never been one to keep up on the engine bay. It was clean before installing, but it doesn't take look for a daily driver to get dusty again. There's a quarter million miles of dirt in this thing. I'll work on cleaning it.

Believe me, I looked at every mounting option you could think of. I even switched some components part way through the build to make it fit better. I did look at mounting more of it up front, but the main reason for not doing it was to not block air flow to the radiator. The compressor and valves are best where they are for a few reasons... battery connection is in the same place, routing wiring to the cabin is easy, passenger side lines take an easy dive straight down, driver side lines have a clean path, and it's all pretty well out of sight. Another Z3 on air also has the compressor and valves there... it's really a logical spot for these cars.

Tanks were a bitch to squeeze in. I seriously considered making a custom tank to go inside the bumper. The original plan was to remove the washer fluid tank, but even a 1 gallon wouldn't fit without hitting the hood. The tank in front of the radiator is acutally my least favorite part of the install. I would rather it be hidden out of sight... if only the passenger corner of the bumper was as open as the driver side, that's where it would have gone.

I'm still not with you on the trunk install... removing the tool kit doesn't gain much space. Now if someone were to make some super slim valves that would fit there (business idea?), I could see it. Still not for me though, since I use some of the tools. The 10mm wrench saved me at the side of the freeway a couple months ago.

In the end, it was never really meant to be a visually impressive install... just tidy and functional. It's fun when people ask to see the install at shows. They gather around the trunk, then look confused as hell as I open the hood. I'm sure they're bummed there's no custom paint, shiny bits, or fake wood, but it's impressive in a different way.
              Lol I could see people gathering around the trunk thinking the set up is located back there.

I respect all your reasoning and you definitely chose what was best for you. Good luck with the rest of the build man.

Comment

This is really neat, the only thing I'd have to point out is that if you ever crash head on when that air tank is full, it's gonna be one hell of a bang
                '93 Jaguar XJ6 4 liter.
                '85 GMC S15 Sierra long bed.
                '01 BMW 740iL
                Instagram @bennkishh

Comment

Originally posted by bennkishh View Post
                  This is really neat, the only thing I'd have to point out is that if you ever crash head on when that air tank is full, it's gonna be one hell of a bang
                  Haha, yep. As I pointed out on another forum, if that were to happen, I have bigger things to worry about than a blown tank. The thought did cross my mind when installing it though.

Comment

I like this, you thought outside of the box. Yes things can be cleaned up and rerouted but if you arent one of those people who is OCD about it then who cares? I dont think this is a show car, or even a car where you pop the hood and meets. This is just a cruiser DD.

Comment

Thanks. And that's exactly what it is- a daily driver. Over 245k miles and going up every day. I decided on air after moving to the Detroit area and not being able to enjoy driving the car on coilovers. Breaking stuff and bending wheels got old really quick.

Comment

pics of the front with fog covers? can't decide whether to get them or not

Comment

Originally posted by penpen View Post
                          pics of the front with fog covers? can't decide whether to get them or not
                          Here's the best shot I have. Let me know if you would like something better... be happy to take one for you.

My thoughts: unless you're deleting them for a reason, I would keep them. Going from tinted fogs to these, the covers really don't make the front of the car look any different.

Before, with 35% tint on the fog lights:

Comment

feeling for the winter, might slap a car bra on my Z to protect it from stone hits and not have to worry about cracking another fog

Comment

Originally posted by penpen View Post
                              feeling for the winter, might slap a car bra on my Z to protect it from stone hits and not have to worry about cracking another fog
                              That's a good idea. Not sure for the 6cyl bumper, but mine were only around $8 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X