Lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lighting

Was just curious what gear you guys use or would recommend for a real basic setup for night shoots and that type of thing.

I got this kit on eBay and it has worked perfectly for me. It's pretty basic but comes with a TON of cool things to experiment with and become familiar with studio photography. There are so many possibilities once you start playing around with different setups. You will need a portable power source or a location with outlets nearby. Definitely bring extension cords.

Dylan Leff - www.originalplate.com

Comment

lol wow that is dirt cheap, my exernal flash costs more than that (which, to the op, is all i gots and...i get by for now...) i just try to avoid night shooting all together lolll
      Ryan | flickr

Comment

Haha yeah it's super cheap. You can tell they are cheaply made but if you're careful with them and don't let the stands fall over due to wind they will hold up. The stands are high quality, it's just that the actual strobes are held together by two eyeglass screws... You could easily add more which would help tremendously.

Comment

What the hell is a snoot for? lol

Comment

Haha it sounds funny and you can do sort of a soft spotlight effect. I haven't tried it out yet.

Comment

yea it could have been used when mojocoggo took the Hood Rich Mobbin' pic to light up the gun, so that it made it pop more without blowing out other parts of the image

Comment

That looks pretty sweet... I want an off cam lighting setup really bad. I think I need a better cam first though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gottalovethexi View Post
                  lol wow that is dirt cheap, my exernal flash costs more than that (which, to the op, is all i gots and...i get by for now...) i just try to avoid night shooting all together lolll
                  Just try it. I loooooove night shots. Nothing says you know what you're doing like a properly composited and exposed night shot.

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                  What the hell is a snoot for? lol
                  Why snooting of course

I just have a Speedlite 580EX

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteStripes View Post
                    Just try it. I loooooove night shots. Nothing says you know what you're doing like a properly composited and exposed night shot.

This^

I only wish I would have had some strobes to do some reverse fill or backlighting on the car lot. I used an sb800 bounced of the ceiling of the garage to get the lighting nice on the car. A strobe setup is great, but I am waiting until I have really figured out the potential of my flash before expanding.

Last edited by Pswirley; 07-17-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X