Schooling myself on E30's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schooling myself on E30's

So I'm coming very close to getting out of the honda/acura game and picking up an E30.

I have had a few integra's and I'm just getting tired of some of the people and also just getting tired of integras... so I'm thinking its time for a change. Just so much immature crap.. but maybe its everywhere... hope not.

I have been lucky enough to have a couple guys give me some info on E30's but they don't get on the local forum much and I'm impatient lol.

I know that timing belts should be changed every 55k and that cooling can be an issue but its not as bad as E36's and new. I'm wondering how hard are these cars to work on? Shop hours at a BMW is crazy and I will only buy a car I can work on myself... a B-series in a Integra is pretty dang easy. I also was told the iS is the one to get. Also I will be getting a I-6. I have driven a 4 cyl bmw and it was very disappointing which is saying something from a guy coming from hondas lol

Also wondering where everyone gets aftermarket parts, like suspension, exhaust, etc.

Also how are they as dds, I drive about an hr round trip everyday for work on MO roads (which blow) and its all highway. Also how is the heat in these? I don't care about A/C bc I like to drive with the windows down.

Anything I'm missing or other tips would be great. I'm very excited about getting one maybe... I have also noticed that it will probably be tough to find one lol.

Oh one last thing... how is finding used parts for one? Integra parts are everywhere so I was just wondering how easy it is to find stuff for a E30.

Thank you everyone for your imput and knowledge.
    My '66 C10 Build
    My BMW 2002 Build

1. BMW forums are full of elitist assholes. i have been called one myself, but as long as you come on the forum(s) lightly, search before posting a new topic and dont think your e30 is superior you will be fine.

2. e30's are very easy to work on. gte yourself a Bentley manual, NOT Haynes.

3. IS is the one thats better to get, but the upgrades are simply cosmetic, the sport models have the same engines and computers. most of th sport models you will find today have the sport options missing or replaced with non-sport parts. so any e30 should do fine. the 325i(s) cars are faster then the 325e(s) cars . all 318's are 4 cylinder and are pretty slow.

4. parts are available from alot of sources:
    Ground Control for coilovers/camber plates etc..
    AKG motorsports
    Ireland Engineering
    Vorshlag
    Bavauto
    Turner motorsports
    PelicanParts
    for dealer parts go to Tischer BMW. getbmwparts.com

5. they are excellent DD's. as long as the heating system is functioning properly it should get hot quick and stay at a good temp. IMO the heating system in e30's is better then any new car i have driven.

6. shouldnt be too hard to find one. just make sure to check all the usual places and the BMW forums.

7. parts arent hard to find, if you cant find it post a WTB and someone will have it. obviously if its a rare part you may have to wait a bit.

Comment

Thanks for the info, yeah I posted it on here and a local site bc I like these lol and noticed that there were quite a few bmw's on here. I'm having a pretty hard time tearing myself away from integra's though lol, its been an every other day thing... just having a hard time deciding lol
      My '66 C10 Build
      My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Go E30!!!!! As 610EURO said they r great dd's. stock they r very easy to work on. Even swapped they r easy. the heating system is great and as long as u bleed it properly. DONT GET A BRONZIT u will get made fun of. for info join r3vlimited but take it slow and grow a thick skin.

Comment

Yeah I have a thick skin from being in hondas the last 3 yrs lol, plus my first integra was a lowered automatic with a lets say different lip on it lol.. so yeah the forum bs doesn't bother me lol.

I have my GSR up forsale right now... looks like my biggest problem will be finding one... I'm in Missouri and there isn't jack around here. Looks like I'll have a road trip in my future lol. I did notice that r3vlimited has one of the better fs forums for cars though so I have been on there looking and on cl of course.
          My '66 C10 Build
          My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

Yeah, r3v will be better for the pampered and modded ones, CL for the stock beater deals

Flickr

Comment

Yeah I missed a deal on a 325e (I know not the iS lol) for $500 and it ran and drove fine.. that would have been a good car to play and learn on.. They are nonexistant around where I live... I'm sure I'll be road tripping atleast 5 hrs away.. but I'll probably have to go to OK or TX for a decent one. I live like where MO, KS, NE, and IA all meet.... people still don't think imports exist around here lol
              My '66 C10 Build
              My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

check out www.e30zone.net. It`s got a lot of info, but beware of the usual forum bs you referred to earlier. It seems to lurk on a lot of sites these days.

Comment

r3v/tech will yield on average 70% douchebaggery 25% useless/wrong info and maybe 5% good info in any given day on any given thread.

bimmerforums.com is the way to go.

Comment

Alright cool.

Quick question, was a drop run on an E30? Like just shocks and springs or cheaper coilovers? Also noticed a comment about replacing perches.. what are those and are they pricey? Integras don't have these so called perches lol
                    My '66 C10 Build
                    My BMW 2002 Build

Comment

the perches are a welded mount where the factory springs sit. you can look up pictures on google ..

Comment

Where in Mo are you?
                        We have a surplus of E30's here. Just have to find them for sale.
                        rivalhousegarage.com

Comment

ive rebuilt my e30 more times than i'd like to admit. if you have questions, ask the e30 drivers on here as we also get around on the e30 forums.

Comment

The E30 is such a well built and designed car.

Scoring an IS will get you recaro seats, lip's on the front (usually missing) and on the trunk, and will garuantee the car has an lsd. if you get an "I" its hit or miss for the lsd and everything else generally isn't there. Also with an IS you will like get an OBC (on board computer) and other cool add-ons. Ideally you want to get a 89-90 325is, plastic bumpers, all the above mentioned options and newer thn the early bodied e30's.

If you get an early body 87- and older the plastic bumpers are NOT a direct bolt on, 88's can have em bolted up and came with better headlights.

Other then that, if your in the rust belt you will see license plate lighs, front fenders and battery trays will almost always be rusted out, some less commen places are bottem of the A pillars and around the front shock towers.

I strongly advise getting one, I don't really have one right now, but I know for sure one day I will have another cleaner example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                              Scoring an IS will get you recaro seats...
                              Nope. Not Recaros.

-1993 535i/5 NA-T

Comment

Working...
                              X