Shooting Modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting Modes

Just curious to see what other people use to take their photos. Little mini survey for ya. Also could help some of the newbies who are looking for some answers and tips.
    1. What camera mode do you use to capture your photos?
    2. In what situations do you use those modes? Why?
    3. If you use Manual settings, what settings do you seem to use the most?
    4. If you edit your photos, what do you use and what do you play with?

My answers:
    1. I switch between Auto/No-Flash and Manual. I have yet to play with the other single letter modes too much. Played with them in class a year ago and that was about it.

2. If its something I don't have to snap quickly and I'm in a patient mood, I'll use Manual so I can play with everything. If it's something that's moving a little faster and/or the weather (brightness) is constantly changing, I might use Auto/NoFlash.

3. When I use manual I tend to go between Bulb-30Seconds for strobes and whatnot. For regular stills, I'm probably around a 100 (what's it called..uhh..brainfart>_<) shutter-speed setting and like a f/5-10 depending on lighting and focus.

4. I used to have Photoshop but then my comp crashed...so now I use GIMP 2 which works quite well. I tend to play with the Curves, Levels, Brightness/Contrast and if I'm feeling creative I'll play with the colors.

1. I shoot mainly in Aperture priority mode unless I'm using my flashes. Then I'll switch over to manual mode.

2. Being that A priority controls the f stop, you get the best control over your DOF with this mode.

3. All over with the manual mode as it depends on my situation I'm shooting in. For alot of my nightlife shots I do f4 and adjust my shutter speed to drag out longer with my flash for some nice light streaks and ghostly movements.

4. Import everything into Lightroom, matter fact I rarely use PS anymore unless I want to get into some layer masking of certain elements. Levels, white balance, color balance, shadow/highlights and curves all in Lightroom.
    Flickr | blogZ

Comment

1. Manual or Aperture Priority

2. Rarely ever use the 'modes'.

3. ISO 100 or 200 I guess. f/2.8 might be the next most popular 'setting'. It depends on what I am shooting. Where I am shooting. What lens. What time of day.

4. CS3. Again it depends on the photo. Sometimes just a color correction. Sometimes play with some layers. I test the 'auto' color/level/contrast just to get a feel for the photo. I have some plug-ins that I use sometimes like Noise Ninja. I have a basic 'flow' I work with though.

Comment

1. Manual or Aperture Priority

2. Manual for still subjects or when I want full control over exposure. AP for moving subjects or when the lighting conditions aren't constant.

3. Lowest ISO possible for the situation. Love shooting at f/2.8 or f/4 on primes.

4. CS4, Lightroom, and Photomatix. Editing depends on the subject and mood I'm trying to convey.

Comment

P for professional

Comment

1. I almost allways use A M or auto w/o flash.

2. auto w/o flash is for really quick shots, M for shots I can take my time with, and A for a combination of the two.

3. I dont have any common settings for M but generally largest F/stop and then a shutter speed to match.

4. I edit my pictures mainly with Camera RAW, then I use photoshop CS3 to finish them off. RAW is probably the most usefull tool to me.

Buy my wheels! http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32917

Comment

auto mode sucks you get stuck with super high iso shots alot of the time...it bugs me so i stay away from it

95% of the time i shoot in aperture priority

Comment

Manual mode unless im doing a roller then shutter priority ... and i change up iso, shutter, aperture, and WB all the time ... also i use cs3 with topaz adjust
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/cfdproductions/

or like me on Facebook

CFD Productions

Comment

manual for everything except motion. i try to keep the camera in F/7 ishh
                  when im shooting base ball games and what not i put it in Priority.

editing : Cs4 extended
                  Gear List:
                  Eos 7D
                  EF-S 10 -22

www.Flickr.com/photos/koreychang

Comment

1. I shoot manual about 95% of the time, other than that I'll use landscape for quick non important shots. I use manual when I'm shooting with strobes, and doing rollers as well, with the rollers I try to setup the shots standing still, and then I'll fine tune em during the hanging out the car session, but I adjust things to make sure I'm in the 1/30th second range minimum

2. use manual to play around mostly, but primarily as an excuse to why I can say the shots look fucked after I take em (lol, I always fuck up one setting or another when I'm shooting, normally iso)

3. When in manual I'll set the iso at 200 and I try to get as small an aperature as possible, typically around 3.

4. editing is pshop cs3. nothing typically more than some level adjusting.
                    iiililillillliliil
                    bar|society

Comment

Working...
                    X