Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting shock absorbers - possible ?

Bassicly, title says it all.

The problem with my car is ('84 Opel Rekord) that it's already sitting on struts (or bumpstops, which where cut and I'm still not satisfied at all). There is like 70mm gap between tyre and fender.

Of course it's logic to shorten the strut and then swap the old shock absorber with a different one from a different car - same diameter, just shorter. I thought this would be easy-peasy, but it turned out, that my shocks are already "kinda" short - some online catalogues claim that mines are 369mm long, meanwhile most of shocks are way more longer. To be honest, its damn hard to find shorter ones and even if I do find them, they are like 20mm shorter, which isn't enough.

ANYWAYS, the question is - is it possible to shorten the shock (shorten all of its inserts just as much as the strut, then fill it with oil and so on) or am I completely out of my mind ?

Thanks in advance

Comment

That's a housing ^

And your answer is: unless you have the ability to harden the rod, make new valves and re-crimp the ends no the housings, no.

How do your shocks mount? I've seen 8" long extended shocks before, surely there is a shock that will work for you.

Comment

Thanks for information, but seems like dimensions i found online were faulty, so some short shocks from some old vw's or something should fit, as I've discovered for now.
        After that just have to make some adapters to make them pretty tight inside of housings and it should to the job! Will post results after everything is done

Comment

Working...
        X