X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOWO in South Australia?

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd put the feelers out for something I really want to make happen.

There's this town in South Australia, you may have heard of it, called Hahndorf.
    It's a German colonised town located in the Adelaide Hills. It's beautiful in Autumn.

I want to do what the guys in America do to Helen, Georgia to Hahndorf, SA.
    We take over the town with our cars for a couple of days to a week. With barbecues, trips to the pubs, and drives through the Adelaide Hills.

However, what I am curious about is, do we actually have a show one of the days or do we just run a muck through the town, hard parking and snapping necks everywhere?
    I vote for a show on a Sunday. Depending on what the go is anyway.

Let me know what you think, maybe some of you are interested, maybe not. Either way, would be a chilled couple of days where you can hang out with some of your mates away from home in a beautiful little town here in SA.
    Last edited by SebastienPeek; 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM.
    IG: @sebastienaudeon
    1974 Porsche 911S

Originally posted by TRaNz
    *pats Sebs head*
    there there.
    keep calm, go mash your face on a car window.

I'm confused on what you're actually trying to achieve. Are you wanting to do a big show weekend where hundreds of cars converge on the town, like SOWO? Or just a boys weekend away/chill session/hills runs/drink up with a group of your friends?

Comment

Why can't we have both?

I know for a fact that a lot of people on here are in their own groups of friends, but they all have the same tastes when modifying their vehicles.

Basically I'm saying, come with a group of mates, have a big show on the weekend, and chill out with mates in between. Could work, might not. I'm trying to figure out what I want to achieve with it also, basically just want to put SA on the map I think...
      1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
      there there.

Comment

Hell, if I could get 100's of cars out to a show here in SA, I'd be over the moon.

Give them a reason to come, and they will come.
        Just need to figure out the reason.
        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
        there there.

Comment

No reason you can't have both, but there's a big difference in planning/preparation between the two. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

Comment

Yeah I know, massive difference in planning that's for sure.

Going to try and head up to Hahndorf this weekend and take a suss at what's around and where we could actually have a show. Will keep everyone posted.
            1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
            there there.

Comment

Mini truckers have been doing this for years, oxer attends every year. East coast cruise.

Comment

I know of ECC, but that's in NSW, not in SA.

The whole thing is that nothing happens in SA. I want to change that.
                1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                there there.

Comment

Yeah i'm up for that Seb! I've been to Handorf before and it's a very quiet place to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Comment

hey Seb,

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while now, it's one of the main reasons I set up ilv/ilvEvents, unfortunately it's not as easy as it seems. I'm not trying to shut this idea down, jsut trying to be realistic, and give as an honest assessment of the situation as I can (in my opinion of course.) trust me when I say I've thought about it a fair bit!

I'll hit on two main points
                    1) this is australia, not the US or Europe. it sucks when you seen videos/photos of all these mad cars and think, that's awesome I want that. but you have to be realistic, we just dont have the quality or the quanitity even close to what attends these bigs shows, and we definately dont have the quantity of the quality either. so basically, be realistic.

2) Adelaide isn't the ideal location. I know you want to put adeliade on the map, but realisitcally, if you want quantity of cars (with good quality as well) you're better off in a different location, that's more central to alot of the target audience. it's a fair old trek from syd to adl, let alone anyone from QLD. and to run a 'weekend show'/event etc (what ever you want to call it) you need quantity, of cars and activities. If everyone sees all the cars in one day, then they'll be bored by the next day.

there are lots of other factors, but these are two main ones, target audience is also a very indepth factor as well.

I'm aiming to do a show like this in the future, probably not next year, maybe after that. but it would be a pretty big undertaking.

Comment

That's my neck of the woods, give it ago you got to start somewhere! Minitruckers kill it with there shows I goto ecc every year and have a blast getting blind, running a muck in batemans bay, but with the stance scene theres too many types of trends and your gonna heaps of different types of people which is good and bad, ecc and minitruck shows theres just one type of person minitruckers and are all on the same page dont cause shit or anything like that to each other,
                      Plus the cops are a little better than over here and some years turn a blind eye cause of all the money its bringing into the nice town,
                      I'm all for it but its not really a road trip for me or anyone from adelaide, if I would do it I would go somewhere up the Riverland like loxton or berri maybe try and make it closer for vic people to come across

Comment

I agree on all points JD.

It is obvious that something like this could happen, and it would obviously need to be closer to Victoria to make it happen, but I would like to at least bring something to SA.

Everyone does meets in the Eastern states, but there's not that many here in SA at all. None when it comes to this scene. So, obviously finding a more mutual location would be a great idea, and I shall just have to use Hahndorf as a place to take videos of cars that are local here, along with photos.

Regardless, I'm not sure where we could do something like this that would be beneficial for Eastern staters as well. I guess there is Mt Gambier.
                        1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                        there there.

Comment

What if you start off small and see how it goes, let it grow naturally. I'm sure if you do a really good SA event, people from VIC will be willing to make the trek over. If the event is a success and starts to gain a reputation, the next year it'll get bigger and you might find people from other states wanting to drive down and be a part of it.

Comment

I think you need a show (repuation) first, that will attract people (thanks internet, forums, blogs) and from there it can expand as it becomes more desirable of an event to attend,

I know blokes would come from VIC and country VIC, country NSW to the show, but it may be harder to get people making the longer treks.

as in real estate, location, location, location. Half (or more) of the reason SOWO and actual Worthesee are so successful is the locations.

Comment

Hahndorf is probably one of the better locations here in SA. I'll have to do some weekend driving around the state and see what I can find I guess.

Something small, grow it big, see what happens.
                              1974 Porsche 911S

*pats Sebs head*
                              there there.

Comment

Working...
                              X