Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 E30 throttle question...

ok serious question.

my above mentioned e30 m20b27 is choking pretty bad for some reason. i have recently replaced the distributor system and lines, had the MAF system tested and cleaned, had the fuel pump tested while replacing some worn fuel lines, replaced the throttle sensor and had the throttle body cleaned, and had my idle adjusted. after all this it is still hesitating under load and sometimes feels like the engine is not getting enough of something. my next train of thought was that my throttle cables were screwed and that my throttle position is being fluctuated while under load.

has anyone ever replaced throttle lines in an early model e30, and if so, was it a pain in the ass??

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm a mercenary for the restaurant industry.

You do a timing belt recently? Check timing. Also maybe grab a new crank position sensor.

Originally Posted by slammin.e28guy
    [i]I love dressing up!

But no really, I like to look distinguished when I step out of the car. People are like, "wonder what he does for living."
    I just reply, "your daughter, sir."

Massimo: You like the stance cars don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
      You do a timing belt recently? Check timing. Also maybe grab a new crank position sensor.
      Haven't done the timing belt, didn't think about that one... Where abouts on the engine would I find the crank position sensor?

Comment

Your e30 prob runs two fuel pumps like mine... When one gets bad it does that. But only under load like (uphill and shit)... Have you checked your Idle Air unit.......?
        IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

i havnt checked that yet but will in the morning. could faulty or old spark plugs be a possibility?

Comment

new plugs? Check the gap and that you got oe ngks. Replace fuel filter. The fact that it runs sort of cuts out the CPS. Inspect rotor and cap. Did it run normally before you bought it? I would check the timing its super easy.

[i]I love dressing up!

But no really, I like to look distinguished when I step out of the car. People are like, "wonder what he does for living."

Comment

It stalled on me twice when I went to buy it the first time. Told the guy to replace the cold start valve and fuel pumps and I would consider coming back. Second test drive was flawless. Picked it up for 1500 and figured it would be a project. But since then all the above was replaced and still falls on its face under load. Just ordered an OEM mass airflow sensor that should be here tomorrow and I guess I'll go from there... Thanks for the feedback guys, il keep you updated as things progress.

Comment

Make sure the p/o even did anything lol

[i]I love dressing up!

Comment

he did, i drove around for two days with a fues pressure gague fitted to both fuel pumps and they are fine. and physically sawe him replace the CSV

Comment

Air flow meters are the root of all evil sometimes. You can move the sweeper a little if there is a burnt portion on the contact point. (you may have already bought one) You can have fuel pressure and no volume. Fuel filter could potentially cause this. (car doesnt need the in tank pump to work and usually doesnt cause drivability issues. Hesitations under load can very likely be a o2 sensor. The old o2 sensors are retarded and work on/off. So If the choking on load feels like on off on off and could potentially be a lazy o2 sensor. I believe you can just unplug it and it will go to a default setting in the DME. Does not effect the car. maybe fuel consumption and some more power. Give it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by j work View Post
                      Air flow meters are the root of all evil sometimes. You can move the sweeper a little if there is a burnt portion on the contact point. (you may have already bought one) You can have fuel pressure and no volume. Fuel filter could potentially cause this. (car doesnt need the in tank pump to work and usually doesnt cause drivability issues. Hesitations under load can very likely be a o2 sensor. The old o2 sensors are retarded and work on/off. So If the choking on load feels like on off on off and could potentially be a lazy o2 sensor. I believe you can just unplug it and it will go to a default setting in the DME. Does not effect the car. maybe fuel consumption and some more power. Give it a whirl.
                      where would i find those 02 sensors?? id like to give that a try before i pick this part up...

Comment

exhaust near transmission. connector should be around there somewhere. Can run a fuel volume test too. check fuel pressure gauge while driving under load too. seen distributors get some condensation in them too and mess the world up if not sealed correctly.

Comment

Ok guise,

All is right in the world again! Seems as though the airflow meter I had replaced a few weeks ago was ordered on the vin number. Surprisingly my vin says it s a 325i when in fact my engine is a 325e. Not entirely sure if there was a swap at some point but there is a sticker on the inside wheel well that says 325e. Make sure that when you order parts, you're actually ordering it for the right engine...

But any ways, thanks for the help and I'll keep this updated with any other issues that may arise.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by M0ar.Stickers View Post
                            Ok guise,

All is right in the world again! Seems as though the airflow meter I had replaced a few weeks ago was ordered on the vin number. Surprisingly my vin says it s a 325i when in fact my engine is a 325e. Not entirely sure if there was a swap at some point but there is a sticker on the inside wheel well that says 325e. Make sure that when you order parts, you're actually ordering it for the right engine...

But any ways, thanks for the help and I'll keep this updated with any other issues that may arise.

Cheers!
                            post pics of motor! Maybe strokerrrrrrrr?
                            IG @RobthaBavarian

Comment

hopefully sometime in the future! but ive put the motor through its paces and all is right in the world again. thanks to Bullet Performance in Costa Mesa for working and troubleshooting this damn monster of an e30!

If you need various repair services for your vehicle, rely on Bullet Performance Engineering, Inc. We provide auto brake repair Costa Mesa, CA relies on.

Comment

Working...
                              X