Lets talk about cutting fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about cutting fenders

I'm a little new to the fitment scene and I have encountered an issue.

I own an e46 coupe on coilovers. I'm running 18x8 et13 with 225/40/18 front and 18x9.5 et25 with 235/40/18 rear M Parallels and I'm having some serious rubbing issues.

The front have a decent roll and only rub during full lock or when hitting bumps during cornering. My real issue is the rear fenders though. I've rolled them and tried to remove/ move as much as that tar as I can, leaving the remainder as a flat, smooth edge. It just isn't enough.

I've heard of guys cutting the rear fenders but to be honest I'm not sure where they are cutting and how they are sealing them.

Which is in turn doing this

Can you guys give me some advice?

Bump, same problem

@itssguwopp

Comment

bump same problem with my 39...

ive ground out the tar and rerolled once and my lips are still almost half an inch wide.

I've been thinking about cutting them so theres no lip to roll effectively, like....

Think of the stock unrolled fender lips as an L
      Id would be cutting of the bottom horizontal portion.

Main concerns are taking away from the structural integrity of my fenders and rust, so id need something good to seal them with.

Also looks like you don't have to much of a pull in the back as is, phone book them and the rubbing will (hopefully) go away

Comment

I honestly would not cut your fender, just because it can be easily botched and if it's not properly sealed you will have a real issue on your hands. Pulling and flaring some more would be your best bet. Phonebook it if you have to.. But you could honestly go to a parts store, and get a heat gun and a fender roller (usually they lend them for a small amount of money) and flare it out.

I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but honestly its the easier and safer way. Plus cut fenders rarely look good (from what i've seen)

Comment

I cut the fenders on my e36m because I was having a similar issue. It wasnt pretty, and I could have done better, however it wasnt hard, as I had a ton of small 3 inch cutoff wheels and unlimited air with a good die grinder. If yours are like mine, its a flat U shape with body sealant in the middle. I cut in the middle of the base of said U, wire wheeled out all sealant, and ground the edges smooth. I also have nasty fat 245/45s on stock wheels, so its pretty fatbitch flush. Ill post pics after work if you'd like

Comment

Get in behind the lip of the arch with a wire wheel and drill and get ALL the shit out, it's mostly all underseal and the wire wheel should tear through it. Cutting your lips will give you more problems than it's worth, you'll run into rust, sharp edges etc.

I'm not 100% sure on E46 arches, but on E36's once the underseal is removed, you can roll them until they're paper thin.

Comment

Working...
            X