Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb w/Nikon...

Bought a Nikon D3000 last night

Any tips on what lenses/flashes/etc to start out with?

Is the D5000 worth the extra money over the D3000? I know it has HD video and more mega pixels but is it worth it? If so I'll go swap em out and pay the difference....

thanks for any help.
    E90 LCI 328xi / Autosupreme Coutures / Mission:Conquer Slamming AWD BMW #vipe90

"Chasin' the dream, never the competition..." #@lifestyle "Chromed out bimmers & Gold Alpinas......." -Dom Kennedy

"A supercar doesn't need to be incredibly wide and have enormous wheels. It must have height, stance and length. It must be as low as possible and reasonably short in length, but it still must be substantial and have an unmistakable attack in its stance."

StanceWorks....for supercars as well.

just start off with what you have and go from there...
    there is really no point of upgrading til your skills get upgraded lol
    but being a beginner (like myself) i'd go for the nikon sb400 flash its small and lacks a couple features but its awesome for the price...
    and as for the lens i guess it sort of depends on what you plan on shooting...

Comment

If you plan on taking photography seriously you'll want to upgrade later on for sure. So there's no point in swapping to a D5000. In addition to your kit lens I'd look at a prime like the 35mm. If you want a flash get an SB600 or better.

Comment

ok, sounds good....I'm definitely gonna work on these skills first lol...

Mostly gonna be shooting the cars/trucks etc...the fam here and there too, might as well.

Thanks for your input...

"Chasin' the dream, never the competition..." #@lifestyle "Chromed out bimmers & Gold Alpinas......." -Dom Kennedy

"A supercar doesn't need to be incredibly wide and have enormous wheels. It must have height, stance and length. It must be as low as possible and reasonably short in length, but it still must be substantial and have an unmistakable attack in its stance."

Comment

Originally posted by Dü Werke View Post
          If you plan on taking photography seriously you'll want to upgrade later on for sure. So there's no point in swapping to a D5000. In addition to your kit lens I'd look at a prime like the 35mm. If you want a flash get an SB600 or better.
          Okay, definitely...I'd love to add photography to the repertoire as I'm already into the art side of things more or less using my hands, I plan on getting pretty serious with it, definitely didn't spend $600+ just to snap picks of wheels here and there haha.

Thanks on the input...

Comment

well if you want to upgrade the lens in the near future and you will be shooting cars and people mostly
            i'd suggest the sigma 24-70mm or something like that...

Comment

Originally posted by vbrad26 View Post
              well if you want to upgrade the lens in the near future and you will be shooting cars and people mostly
              i'd suggest the sigma 24-70mm or something like that...
              okay...gonna look that up, thanks.

Comment

Too tell you the truth the Nikon 18-55 is a pretty good lens to learn on. I would stick with that for now to make sure you dont spend extra money on a lens if your not going to get too serious about it.

Comment

Originally posted by RD408 View Post
                  Too tell you the truth the Nikon 18-55 is a pretty good lens to learn on. I would stick with that for now to make sure you dont spend extra money on a lens if your not going to get too serious about it.
                  noted....I have a lot of learning to do, the pics just look so bland right now. Idk if its the flasher/lens or what, gonna play around with it today.

Comment

Finally got to test out the Camera....

I definitely need a tripod ASAP! Any suggestions??

Some interior flicks.............

And the reaction I get like every other day about the car.....

Overall, I'm excited to get into this more...I have some lens laying around but I haven't got to mess w/them yet. Any critiques or tips welcome!
                    Last edited by Dom_J; 03-06-2010, 07:36 AM.

Comment

pretty good

Comment

Thanks,

Trying to figure out more about the ISO settings to get a better pic at night, a tripod, and a remote for the camera to hopefully get some decent quality pics. I really love the night time type of shoots....

Comment

start taking pictures in the day time first; yes get a tripod; and learn the rule of thirds. work on composition, and how to use your camera. i take it your shooting in Auto mode. which is fine for now. look into priority mode and Manual mode...
                          Gear List:
                          Eos 7D
                          EF-S 10 -22

www.Flickr.com/photos/koreychang

Comment

Tripod will be a HUGE bonus for night shots. It's very, very hard to get a sharp shot at night handheld considering you'll need longer shutter speeds, and you'll probably be shooting at a higher ISO (which leads to more grain.) You'll learn the more you use it, I just got mine around christmas and I love it. good luck!
                            I love stance.

Comment

Originally posted by chino View Post
                              start taking pictures in the day time first; yes get a tripod; and learn the rule of thirds. work on composition, and how to use your camera. i take it your shooting in Auto mode. which is fine for now. look into priority mode and Manual mode...
                              Originally posted by shanemono4 View Post
                              Tripod will be a HUGE bonus for night shots. It's very, very hard to get a sharp shot at night handheld considering you'll need longer shutter speeds, and you'll probably be shooting at a higher ISO (which leads to more grain.) You'll learn the more you use it, I just got mine around christmas and I love it. good luck!
                              Sounds gooda fellas...I really appreciate that input. Can't wait to get out and snap some more. I'm sure the more I shoot and mess around with the camera it will yield better snaps.

Definitely will focus more on day time shooting to start out I guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X