PDA

View Full Version : Removing side molding adhesive?

ktfright
03-24-2013, 07:59 PM
I just got done removing the body side molding on my car, and now everything looks somewhat better, but now I need to figure out how to remove the leftover adhesive. Someone suggested WD-40 with an X-acto blade, and it sort of worked, but it didn't take much off. Any ideas?

(I don't care about messing up paint, everything is gonna eventually get painted over when I fix the rear bumper.)

M.Doban
03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Kerosine or diesel fuel and a heat gun. Be careful not to burn the paint though. You shouldn't have to get the glue that hot. No knives needed, just wipe it of with a rag.

Teknomaz
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
A good item to scrub with that's not too abrasive is rucksack webbing/straps, or you can buy a specific flap wheel to do the job that goes in a drill> I think its called a Toffee wheel.
Also a cleaning solvent called TF-90 is excellent at removing sticky residue left from this sort of thing.

ktfright
03-25-2013, 12:21 PM
Kerosine or diesel fuel and a heat gun. Be careful not to burn the paint though. You shouldn't have to get the glue that hot. No knives needed, just wipe it of with a rag.

A good item to scrub with that's not too abrasive is rucksack webbing/straps, or you can buy a specific flap wheel to do the job that goes in a drill> I think its called a Toffee wheel.
Also a cleaning solvent called TF-90 is excellent at removing sticky residue left from this sort of thing.

Thanks guys,I'll try both and see which works. The glue is becoming an eyesore on my car.

Turbo82
04-28-2013, 10:17 AM
Plastic razor blade and goo gone works wonders

Wash
05-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I removed the side door mouldings today off my Mazda 3 which left some adhesive behind but I managed to get off after a bit of work with some autosmart tardis (tar and glue remover), not sure if you can get that stuff in the states though?

deejayrock
05-19-2013, 06:50 AM
I removed side moulding off my Tahoe, used heat gun to peel away mouldings and used wd40 to remove sticky residue. WD40 did a better job than Goo gone did for me. Spray the residue with wd40 and let it sit for a while, longer the better, then come back and scrape off with a plastic gift card or something plastic, dont use anything metal. I used a plastic tool for removing door panels. Do not use an exacto, you will scratch paint and possibly shave off clearcoat or worse. Just a little info, hope it helps.

ktfright
05-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I removed side moulding off my Tahoe, used heat gun to peel away mouldings and used wd40 to remove sticky residue. WD40 did a better job than Goo gone did for me. Spray the residue with wd40 and let it sit for a while, longer the better, then come back and scrape off with a plastic gift card or something plastic, dont use anything metal. I used a plastic tool for removing door panels. Do not use an exacto, you will scratch paint and possibly shave off clearcoat or worse. Just a little info, hope it helps.

Thanks!

Dudermagee
05-29-2013, 11:36 PM
3m adhesive remover.
always and forever

cereal black
06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
You have any money to buy a tool, there is a really good one for this. Id say >30$. Last time I checked.

Bmwadkt
06-28-2013, 04:23 PM
just plasti dip over it

ktfright
06-29-2013, 11:16 PM
just plasti dip over it

That's gonna be the end result, but I need to finish more of the body (Wavy left fenders and rusty holes on the left rear door) before I can start with that. The 3M and a scraper did help remove 80% of the adhesive, but there is still bits here and there.