E28 with eBay springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E28 with eBay springs?

I know I read somewhere I can use cheep Honda springs to lower my e28. I only want to go down 2-3 inches so I'm not worried about it affecting ride quality too much. I would like to get something relatively stiff to prevent bottoming out. What springs/adjusters set up can get for less than 100bucks. This is a family car so I would like to have the option of adjustable suspension to change of necessary. This is why I'm not cutting the springs like everyone else. What spring rate and I.d. Should I be searching for?

You won't get springs and shocks for $100, nor will you get adjustability. No lowering spring even drop 2-3". Spax only drop about 2" and they drop the most.
    Just lower it.

Comment

Originally posted by Broche View Post
      You won't get springs and shocks for $100, nor will you get adjustability. No lowering spring even drop 2-3". Spax only drop about 2" and they drop the most.
      Coming from someone who has eBay coils all around on their e28. It's nice. And I bought adjusters, springs and shorter strut inserts for 130. The I.D. You need is 2.5. There are a ton of sleeve options with different spring rates out there so take your pick.

insta:yungwymo

Comment

there is a video on here that explains the whole process of cutting, shortening, and welding on your sleeves just for an e30, but it is basically the same process. wyatt lay what shocks did you use for you e28?

Comment

I used ix struts to do this to my e30 im just not sure on what springs to use on the e28 because I reall don't want to drop another 400 on ground controls

Comment

KYB mk2 inserts. You can really make many different inserts work with the right abount of fabrication.

Comment

Buy Spax and cut em. Use iX stuff with shortened strut housings maybe.
              Matt in VA
              1982 BMW 320i US 5 speed Chestnut Red "Jun"
              Adult smut.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Lay View Post
                Coming from someone who has eBay coils all around on their e28. It's nice. And I bought adjusters, springs and shorter strut inserts for 130. The I.D. You need is 2.5. There are a ton of sleeve options with different spring rates out there so take your pick.
                I'm dyslexic and I read springs as springs and shocks. Woops.

But you can get coil sleeves and springs from eBay or use the ultimate coilover DIY thread on here on how to build some coilovers. It won't be less than $100 total, but will still be pretty cheap compared to full kits.
                Just lower it.

Comment

^ I don't know what you are trying to say.

Comment

He asked if he could get a full adjustable suspension for $100.

I was saying he can't do that but he could build coilovers using the Ultimate e28 coilover guide that the guy with the white e28 on here wrote. It will be less costly than a full setup from gc or ie. but will not be cheaper than $100. Like he was asking about.
                    Just lower it.

Comment

Let's make this simple.

Will civic springs and adjusters work?

I can figure out the rest I just can't find springs on egay when I search by height, width, spring rate etc....

If I can use a whole set of civic springs I can go from there.

Or what car springs should I search for(besides e28)

Im really hoping i can use civic springs. I have friend that is really into Hondas for some reason.....long story short he has a ton of Honda parts including multiple sets of cheap adjustable springs/sleeves

Comment

I don't know about civic but another car is e30. That probably doesn't help sorry

Edit* only for the front
                        Just lower it.

Comment

I have a full set of e30 lowering springs laying around I know the back won't work but I never considered trying out the fronts. Will they work?

Comment

Yeah, but since they are for an e30 they will drop the e28 more than the e30 because it (should) be a softer rate. But try them out. They will for but idk how much drop you will get.
                            Just lower it.

Comment

Fronts springs and 51mm shocks work from e30 on e28.
                              I use stiffnes adjustable koni's from an e30 on my e28 with cut up lowering springs.
                              Those shocks prevent the springs from coming loose when i jack it up or hit bumps 2 hard.

But you need 1/2 inch "filling" because the shock is half an inch shorter

Check this to see the difference between the shocks.
                              About half way down the page
                              Post your build threads here! Keep us updated on what you're doing in your garage.

Comment

Working...
                              X