This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet sanding tips

I'm thinking about wet sanding my tii soon. It has some orange peel that is driving me crazy. Anybody have any tips/words of caution before I do this? I've never done it before so any help is appreciated.
    tumblr
    flickr
    instagram

wet sanding your what?

Comment

i'd assume he's talking about his paint

Build thread ------> http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1186733#post1186733

Comment

Originally posted by cbus mkv View Post
        wet sanding your what?
        The paint on my BMW 2002tii. Sorry I should have been more clear.
        tumblr
        flickr
        instagram

Comment

There's a lot that goes into it but ill try to be as brief and to the point as possible. You want a big bucket or even better a spray bottle with water and a small amount or either car wash soap or even dawn hand soap works just fine. Get yourself a cheap small flexible rubber block and whatever grit your planning on using be either 1200-2000 grit. Obviously the lower the grit the more aggressive it sands so choose wisely I myself very rarely use lower than 1200 any more than that its a pain to buff out and you run the risk or burning through. Basically put the paper around the block and in a criss cross motion sand it with plenty of water and really listen while you do it because you'll be able to hear dirt if it gets under the paper. Don't go close to edges or body lines because you'll probably burn through if your not careful and even if you don't do it then you probably will when you try and buff it. Being that its an older BMW it'll be single stage paint so when you sand it don't be scared when you see the color coming off the car. Check it pretty often when it's done the panel will be flat and dull with no marks in it. If you don't use a block you will most certainly see where your fingers were putting more pressure on the paper and it looks terrible. Once it's done take a good rubbing compound and go at a medium speed in small areas I usually go for about a foot square at a time and buff until you see the gleam you want and when you move to a new area be sure to overlap the spot you just did slightly as not to miss any spots. Then wipe it all down and do the same with polish but at a slightly slower speed. Basically take your time and don't try to make quick work of it people think this is an easy task and its really not any short cuts will be noticed and you can really ruin a paint job if you do it incorrectly.

Comment

He's bragging because his 2002 is better then everyone elses 2002.

OP: Just use some 60 girt and some spit, it'll come out great.

Comment

Oh, Word? Thanks for the advice

Originally posted by willis View Post
              He's bragging because his 2002 is better then everyone elses 2002.

OP: Just use some 60 girt and some spit, it'll come out great.
              Willis are you sure 60 isn't too fine? I was thinking maybe 24 grit or just a handful of small rocks. I figured I could just pick up the rocks out of a stream so they're wet and just rub them on the paint any way I want. That'll work, right?
              tumblr
              flickr
              instagram

Comment

Originally posted by mtmorto View Post
                Oh, Word? Thanks for the advice

Willis are you sure 60 isn't too fine? I was thinking maybe 24 grit or just a handful of small rocks. I figured I could just pick up the rocks out of a stream so they're wet and just rub them on the paint any way I want. That'll work, right?
                that still might be to soft, id take a cheese grater and some paint thinner, should do the trick

Comment

Originally posted by cbus mkv View Post
                  that still might be to soft, id take a cheese grater and some paint thinner, should do the trick
                  Good thinking. That will be faster than rocks too.
                  tumblr
                  flickr
                  instagram

Comment

This thread pleases me.

Comment

In the event that 36 grit isn't cutting fast enough I've been known to take some fly paper and throw it in gravel then use that, it's been pretty successfull.

Comment

If your gonna do it might as well get some rocks or a belt sander.
                        First time turns out like shitttttt

Comment

just sandblast it... naked
                          Hatchbacks, wagons... It's NOT all the same. You want in? Don't get a mazda 3, get a mazda 6 wagon. Don't get a wrx get a legacy wagon. and theres a reason the A3 isn't called the A3 avant... Scion does not make a wagon it makes a weird van, but no wagons

Sincerely,
                          The Wagon Mafia:Inner Circle
                          P.S. Is your tail a wagon?

Show cars are lame.

Comment

Okay so instead of taking the time to sand everything, I figured why not just try and flip the car over at a high rate of speed down the highway. That way it gets my heart rate up, making my heart stronger by working harder, and it gets rid of the orange peel. Additionally, the glass on the windshield is a little pitted from being so old, so it'll shatter that (hopefully) which solves that problem. The view will be so clear it will be like I don't even have a windshield!
                            tumblr
                            flickr
                            instagram

Comment

There was a thread on someone sanding and buffing the windshield

Comment

Working...
                              X