PDA

View Full Version : Wet sanding tips

mtmorto
02-12-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking about wet sanding my tii soon. It has some orange peel that is driving me crazy. Anybody have any tips/words of caution before I do this? I've never done it before so any help is appreciated.

cbus mkv
02-12-2013, 01:10 PM
wet sanding your what?

crxmarc
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
i'd assume he's talking about his paint

mtmorto
02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
wet sanding your what?

The paint on my BMW 2002tii. Sorry I should have been more clear.

Oh, Word?
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
There's a lot that goes into it but ill try to be as brief and to the point as possible. You want a big bucket or even better a spray bottle with water and a small amount or either car wash soap or even dawn hand soap works just fine. Get yourself a cheap small flexible rubber block and whatever grit your planning on using be either 1200-2000 grit. Obviously the lower the grit the more aggressive it sands so choose wisely I myself very rarely use lower than 1200 any more than that its a pain to buff out and you run the risk or burning through. Basically put the paper around the block and in a criss cross motion sand it with plenty of water and really listen while you do it because you'll be able to hear dirt if it gets under the paper. Don't go close to edges or body lines because you'll probably burn through if your not careful and even if you don't do it then you probably will when you try and buff it. Being that its an older BMW it'll be single stage paint so when you sand it don't be scared when you see the color coming off the car. Check it pretty often when it's done the panel will be flat and dull with no marks in it. If you don't use a block you will most certainly see where your fingers were putting more pressure on the paper and it looks terrible. Once it's done take a good rubbing compound and go at a medium speed in small areas I usually go for about a foot square at a time and buff until you see the gleam you want and when you move to a new area be sure to overlap the spot you just did slightly as not to miss any spots. Then wipe it all down and do the same with polish but at a slightly slower speed. Basically take your time and don't try to make quick work of it people think this is an easy task and its really not any short cuts will be noticed and you can really ruin a paint job if you do it incorrectly.

willis
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
He's bragging because his 2002 is better then everyone elses 2002.

OP: Just use some 60 girt and some spit, it'll come out great.

mtmorto
02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
Oh, Word? Thanks for the advice

He's bragging because his 2002 is better then everyone elses 2002.

OP: Just use some 60 girt and some spit, it'll come out great.

Willis are you sure 60 isn't too fine? I was thinking maybe 24 grit or just a handful of small rocks. I figured I could just pick up the rocks out of a stream so they're wet and just rub them on the paint any way I want. That'll work, right? :rofl

cbus mkv
02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
Oh, Word? Thanks for the advice

Willis are you sure 60 isn't too fine? I was thinking maybe 24 grit or just a handful of small rocks. I figured I could just pick up the rocks out of a stream so they're wet and just rub them on the paint any way I want. That'll work, right? :rofl

that still might be to soft, id take a cheese grater and some paint thinner, should do the trick

mtmorto
02-13-2013, 02:11 PM
that still might be to soft, id take a cheese grater and some paint thinner, should do the trick

Good thinking. That will be faster than rocks too.

willis
02-13-2013, 02:14 PM
:D This thread pleases me.

Oh, Word?
02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
In the event that 36 grit isn't cutting fast enough I've been known to take some fly paper and throw it in gravel then use that, it's been pretty successfull.

j work
02-13-2013, 09:21 PM
If your gonna do it might as well get some rocks or a belt sander.
First time turns out like shitttttt

Rebounder
02-14-2013, 12:18 AM
just sandblast it... naked

mtmorto
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
Okay so instead of taking the time to sand everything, I figured why not just try and flip the car over at a high rate of speed down the highway. That way it gets my heart rate up, making my heart stronger by working harder, and it gets rid of the orange peel. Additionally, the glass on the windshield is a little pitted from being so old, so it'll shatter that (hopefully) which solves that problem. The view will be so clear it will be like I don't even have a windshield!

j work
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
There was a thread on someone sanding and buffing the windshield

willis
02-19-2013, 03:35 PM
It makes me genuinely happy to think one day someone is going to search "Wet sanding" and they're going to find this thread. Their search will be over, everything they could ever need to know will be here.

Jlyons617
02-20-2013, 02:00 PM
this guy has the right idea. He goes so far as to sand the underbody of his car. I think he needs to use a bit more water though.

Niño remodela el M3 de su padre / Kid crashes Daddy´s BMW M3 into rocks - YouTube

Jlyons617
02-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Okay so instead of taking the time to sand everything, I figured why not just try and flip the car over at a high rate of speed down the highway. That way it gets my heart rate up, making my heart stronger by working harder, and it gets rid of the orange peel. Additionally, the glass on the windshield is a little pitted from being so old, so it'll shatter that (hopefully) which solves that problem. The view will be so clear it will be like I don't even have a windshield!

mtmorto
02-20-2013, 04:41 PM
this guy has the right idea. He goes so far as to sand the underbody of his car. I think he needs to use a bit more water though.

Niño remodela el M3 de su padre / Kid crashes Daddy´s BMW M3 into rocks - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XrSCwoDNc)

Now THAT is dedication!

It makes me genuinely happy to think one day someone is going to search "Wet sanding" and they're going to find this thread. Their search will be over, everything they could ever need to know will be here.

Haha that's going to be awesome. Someone will reply "hey OP so the flypaper in gravel idea sanded it down, but now it won't polish. Did this work for you?" To which I will reply "You need more gravel."

Oh, Word?
02-22-2013, 04:18 PM
My first response is always well did you use it wet or dry? and however they answer say well you should have done it the other way.

cereal black
06-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Good call. Though, I mainly like to prep the surface with some aircraft stripper before any light sanding is applied. Helps with strain on the arms from all the back and forth.

andybob
06-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Fly paper and gravel is a fantastic idea.

I have found though some old bricks work much better, no need for a sanding block, a brick is a block and paper all built in.

Once you are ready to buff, make sure you apply the buffing compound straight to the buffer, dip it in some very course sand, and then buff. It cuts the paint much quicker and doesn't leave swirl marks as bad.

Good luck

M.Doban
06-04-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested angle grinders yet. Like, I use those for sanding everything. Fingernails too.

ktfright
06-05-2013, 05:02 AM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested angle grinders yet. Like, I use those for sanding everything. Fingernails too.

Definitely gonna try that next week. lol.

Oh, Word?
06-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Never thought of using the angle grinder on my nails. I usually clip them with my dikes when I've got some down time at work.

Pek
06-10-2013, 09:15 AM
haha i just read every reply to this thread :D why not just throw a bag of sand on the car? :D

well. i want to see some serious answers to :) i will soon paint my car with 2K paint that is for boats. if it gets some orange peel, can i just sand of some paint wilt 2000 grit and then clear coat?

as for you mtmorto, i think 2000 would be perfect :) just dont take away to much and polish the car afterwards :)

hi its me alec
06-10-2013, 11:53 PM
I use 1500 and 3000 on black, 2000 on every other color. The key is evenly distributing the weight of the sanding (i.e. using a block instead of your finger tips.) Other than that, it's all in not burning the paint and finishing it properly with buffing

ninety4e36
06-20-2013, 04:53 PM

I lol'd :rofl:

UberPare
06-22-2013, 09:56 PM
I use 1500 and 3000 on black, 2000 on every other color. The key is evenly distributing the weight of the sanding (i.e. using a block instead of your finger tips.) Other than that, it's all in not burning the paint and finishing it properly with buffing

^this.

when your buffing just make sure your paint isnt dry. use a low speed & go easy. if your fighting the buffer your doing it wrong

Elafhine
09-07-2013, 07:08 PM
The paint on my BMW 2002tii. Sorry I should have been more clear.http://erjie.smokemaps.com/7.jpg

willshaffer
02-12-2014, 02:36 PM
In the event that 36 grit isn't cutting fast enough I've been known to take some fly paper and throw it in gravel then use that, it's been pretty successfull.

lost my shit :rofl