E36 5speed decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 5speed decision

I know this is a stance site, but i'd figure there has to be a few bmw enthusiast on here to lend me a helping hand. Plus bimmerforums was no help, as usual.

The time has come for me to swap out my poor excuse of a automatic transmission and go the 5 speed way. 3 pedals of fun. Basically in July my automatic transmission threw the notorious "check gearbox light" go into limp mode problem. The 5 speed swap should have happened then but my mom (she was paying to fix it) decided to go the cheap route and just replace the automatic transmission with a "new" one. Everything was good until a few months ago. Then the symptoms happened again like the first time. "Check gearbox light" limp mode. After reading countless pages of people who have the same problem, the only real way to fix it would be to do a 5 speed swap, right?

Did some searching and found two parts car within my budget, both around the same price.

Option 1 is a 94 325is 5 speed. The guy (on GL) said it has a salvage title because it was abandoned and he bought it at a action with the intention of parting it out, but now deciding to sell it as a whole. He said the car runs fine, transmission shift smoothly. Hes located about an hour away from me. Its all stock, and has all the interior that I want to swap into my car.

Option 2 is a 94 325 5 speed. Only problem with this one is that it was going to be a turbo set up but he ran out of funds. Car needs a new head, ecu, exhaust manifould, ect. He also has some upgrades body wise and performance. Also has a clean title. Said the transmission shifts smoothly, and theres numerous parts I can use. Hes 3 hours away from me.

I hope to have one of the above by this weekend so I can start my swap/build. The only question is would it be better to do option 1 and just swap the 5 speed into my car. Or go with option 2 and replace the head,ecu, ect... with the parts needed off my car.

Also, I will be doing all the work myself. Here is a parts list. Obviously everything that is needed is already available to me. This is a just a list of a few items I would purchase while im already doing the work. Fix it now then later. Plus a few goodies. Let me know your opinions on the list or anything I would need or change.

Thanks guys, Dan.

-Dan

Option 1 sounds cheaper... but Option 2 sounds more fun. So I say if you have the time to do engine work (if I read that correctly?) then go for Option 2.
    Originally posted by da3bous
    I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

I have the time, but the only part that worries me is if, nock on wood, I go with option two, swap everything from my car into the new one and it don't start. Option 2 was a turbo build that stopped half way though, so I can imagine the car has been sitting for a while. Sitting = things going south real quick.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wheelfetish View Post
        Sitting = things going south real quick.
        Truth. My E21 sat in some old lay's yard for 4 years, I started it up and rove it home though

Didn't you say the first one was abandoned though?

Comment

Yeah. I found the guy on cl and called him up. He said that he bought the car at a auction with a salvage title. Apparently the car was abandoned on the highway or something among those lines. He got it back to his house, drove it off the trailer and said everything ran fine and shifted smoothly. Since it had a salvage title, he was going to part it out to make a few extra bucks but started another project so he decided to put it on cl. Theres a guy thats suppose to go look at it today, but with all the snow he said that he might not show. So im hopping that happens so I can go look at it/test it out. Its my first choice over the 2nd one since its a whole car and has everything, unlike option 2. Thats more of a if option 1 falls though, then option 2 to the rescue. Ill find out tomorrow witch one im getting.

-Dan

Comment

UPDATE: Well, after talking to the person I would be getting the money from, aka my grandpa, we decided that the car isn't worth fixing at this time. Too many things wrong with it. So if anybody needs stock/aftermarket parts. Hit me up

-Dan

Comment

PM me with what you're willing to sell please

Comment

know that bavarian autosport has a good deal without a flywheel, depending on what your going to do, i machined my m3's fly wheel and did bavauto's deal and its all good even at the track, daily driver?.....bavarian auto recycling can sell you a reman and you can purchase an extented parts and labor warranty, i say F it and get that tunermotorsports deal.....it just kicks ass for the price. im broke son, thats why i though those other options in the air. now time to nuke some bolognia and make a dorito or sour cream and onion Lay's sandwich.......yum

****CURRENT****
                2005 Volvo XC90
                2005 BMW Z4

Comment

For a parts car... Go with the on that runs... You can test drive it to make sure its all good, and its got the interior you want.

Don't get the non-running car unless you are prepared to do an engine swap at minimum.
                  Last edited by LuckyBoyOne3; 02-26-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the advise guys, but, Im selling the car. After getting together a legit price list from new flywheel bolts to clutch kits, the total price was right around $5,000. So im getting a mk4 jetta 1.8t or gli if I can find one for under $7k. Then the money I make from selling the BMW im getting bags

-Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X