X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camera advice...

Hey all,

I am looking to get a SLR digital camera. Not sure what to get though. Where is a good place to start. Looking for advice on lenses and bodies. Thanks in advance!

What's your budget, and what do you want to do with it?

Comment

I want to keep it reasonable. $700-800. I would like to do alot of what I see on this site: rolling shots, stationary shots, scenery shots. Sorry for the layman's terms but this is all new to me.

Comment

Canon XSi I just got a used one, amazing quality easy to use, yet has many advanced options that you can explore as you get more a more into it. Check my Flickr out I have been using it recently. Still uploading pics from the past couple days. http://www.flickr.com/photos/41160621@N05/
        - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I was talking to a guy that does photography and he told me he would suggest a used D90 now this I wasn't expecting but he told me there is no point to buying a brand new D40. Also he suggested I rent out a camera for the weekend from a shop down in Seattle, I dunno how popular these places are but I think it's worth a shot.
          @slowprogress

Comment

Definitely rent one for a weekend and see how you like it. Thats how I arrived at my XSi. See what camera's fit your price range, and see how well it works for you.
            - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

Cool! Thanks for the info! I will have to find a local shop to rent a camera from!

Comment

borrowlenses.com they are based out of san mateo. they have very reasonable prices! I have rented lenses from them many times!
                Flickr WaterCooled Militia EuroPlush

iggy@canibeat.com

Comment

An XSi is a good candidate for that budget. You might even be able to find a used 40D and 28-135 lens combo for $800 (which is also phenomenal for a beginner).

www.photography-on-the.net/forums is a great place to look for used gear and the members there are all enthusiasts, so you can bet their gear is well taken care of (I've bought 3 lenses and a camera body from them, never had a problem).
                  Jason
                  flickr
                  build thread

Comment

Thanks again for all the info! Now I just gotta do the research....

Comment

I agree with Vic, a 40D would be a really good option. It may be a little more difficult getting started over a D40 or XSi but it'll last you a lot longer. I started with a D40 but feel like I outgrew it fast.

It may end up being a little more expensive but it'll keep you from buying one camera and then having to upgrade later. Like others have said, if you can get your hands on any of the cameras your looking at it should help you your decision.

Comment

My XTi has lasted an eternity. it's starting to give me the err 99 of death but it still won't die. I'm no pro, but dangerous. I've been doing the kit lens thing since I got it and I'm about to get my first "upgraded lens" if you want to call it that. But so far I've been impressed with canon quality.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

I agree with getting the 40d..any rebel series camera has a plastic body, whereas any XXd series camera has a water tight, magnesium body. I have tried EVERY single canon dslr. I will say that for the money, the Canon 40d is the best bang for your buck. Lens wise your going to want a good all around lens like the canon 28-135. You can find one around 200 bucks and it is a VERY good lens. once you are comfortable with your camera, you can start getting into bigger glass, L series glass makes for incredible pictures. Canon makes a very user friendly camera, join fredmiranda.com and you will find very good buys on any gear you may need! i hope this helped!

take care
                          -Aaron

Comment

Seriously, you all have been awesome! I will have to start looking for a cannon 40d. Sounds like a camera I can grow with. Thanks again!

Comment

no prob man! try craigslist as well..i always find 40d's for around 600!

Comment

Working...
                              X