first time shooting feedback please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time shooting feedback please?

after like 3 years of almost i finally manned up and spent the money... idk i think theres some decent shots in there id love to hear what people with some experience think

EDIT: everything is on flickr now

Explore Gruns’s 70 photos on Flickr!
    Last edited by grundle; 02-09-2010, 07:11 PM.

First, watch your horizon. The first shot would have been real nice if you had a level horizon, shot in landscape orientation, and the fishing nets(?) weren't in the shot.

Comment

The horizon is my main complaint too

Thats like a pet peeve of mine lol

I dunno if you were shooting on automatic or manual but I'd like to see a little more detail in the shadows too. All in all, very good for a first try. I go to college for photography and you'd be surprised at some of the mess the other students turn in lol.

Comment

Ack vertigo. Those angles might work if you were actually on a boat, but otherwise, angles = bad (that goes for automotive photography too)
        Jason
        flickr
        build thread

Comment

Go and shoot those shots when the sun is in the opposite position and shoot level horizons. It takes a lot of practice to backlight properly, try shooting with the sun working in your favor to get out the highlights of your subject.

My only other suggestion is to try and make it more clear to the viewer what the subject of the shot is.

Obviously your horizons need to be level like everyone before me said.

Comment

thank u guys for the criticism...i went out and took some shots today keeping in mind the level horizons and the sun light thing

new and much better stuff on my flickr

Explore Gruns’s 70 photos on Flickr!

Comment

the new stuff is much better.

Comment

thank u sir

Comment

Wow, that's a huge improvement!
                  Jason
                  flickr
                  build thread

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkimmr View Post
                    Wow, that's a huge improvement!

thanks....i had the afternoon off cleared out the camera and i told my self i wasnt coming home till the card was full

learn by doing i guess

Comment

looks like you have a good eye...just keep taking pictures
                      like you said: learn by doing lol

Comment

i think i ahve the eye for it...not to toot my own horn haha

next project i wanna go back to the spot were i got the bridge shots at night when the bridge is all aluminated get some crazy long exposure night shots

Comment

**** to bump this thread again but new set i would love to hear some c+c afterwards ill let this one die

Comment

To be honest, the composition isn't doing anything for me, but snow shots are hard. My only suggestion is to keep in mind the "rule of thirds"

And you're right, the only way to improve is to keep at it. Well that and looking at a lot of pictures, figuring out why you like them and applying it to your technique.
                            Jason
                            flickr
                            build thread

Comment

A lot of us, if not most of us have at least a year or two's worth of shitty shots. The key is that you are doing work by getting out and shooting and not getting butt hurt when people offer feedback. Like Jason suggested put in some research work about tips and techniques, go out and try it, post them up and people will tell you if they suck or if they are good.

I spent a year and a half posting shitty pictures simply because I wanted to hear how to improve and apply the little bit of information you might get between the comments of "that sucks".

Hope this makes sense. We were all noobs at one point.

Comment

Working...
                              X