Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• warping your block...?

didnt know where to post this.

when its raining and you drive a lowered car i have experienced, first hand, driving through a flooded area that the ice cold water is more than likely gonna be touching the oil pan and related parts such as exhaust ect.

so my question is how worried some of you are with putting your hot engine into a ice cold "river" and warping part of the motor? drove through a flooded street in my brothers stock e21 and we ended up warping the block. at first impact the car shut off and obviously steam was everywhere. got it started but something was off. moths later we puylled it apart and he had a few bent rods

granted you could just not drive through a bad spot, but sometimes i have been forced to and just wondering if the same could happen to the pan?
    -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
    -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
    MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
    Got Drop??

hydro-locked it breh. gotta be careful out there folks.
    025garage

Comment

Originally posted by vgrntbeauxner View Post
      this. it wasn't the cold water outside the engine, it was you sucking water inside the engine.
      025garage

Comment

Originally posted by vgrntbeauxner View Post
        Originally posted by motocaddy View Post
        this. it wasn't the cold water outside the engine, it was you sucking water inside the engine.
        Speakers of truth.
        -Instagram@jdjurhuus
        Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

Yup, hydro locked for sure.

You suck water into the cylinders, and when the pistons start to rise for the compression stroke and can't displace the water, the rods bend. But typically just those that were on compression stroke.

Comment

WTF you didnt warp the block you hydro locked the motor.
            doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

okay so i used to wrong term. sorry.

just wanted to know if there was a danger with letting your hot oil pan dip into ice cold water, or if anyone has had exhaust welds break because of the sudden change in temp. or does that not really happen? just a thought i had

maybe the pan would not warp but could it cause the gasket surface to leak because the metals did move? im just throwing ideas out there
              Last edited by CHIF8008; 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM.
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              Got Drop??

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                okay so i used to wrong term. sorry.

just wanted to know if there was a danger with letting your hot oil pan dip into ice cold water, or if anyone has had exhaust welds break because of the sudden change in temp. or does that not really happen? just a thought i had

maybe the pan would not warp but could it cause the gasket surface to leak because the metals did move? im just throwing ideas out there
                i dont see why your pan would warp if you go though water the oil pan on m20s is aluminum i would think if the metal was shocked that much the pan would just crack not warp im sure BMW would have figured that at some point they would have figured the pan would be some what submerged at some point

88 325is

Comment

I've never heard of anyone warping the block that way, but I've often thought the same thing myself. I think you're more likely to crack the block then warp it.

I have seen warped, and cracked blocks. I watched a guy (against my advice) pour ice cold water into an overheating engine and crack the block. (rad was empty and engine was running)

Comment

025garage

Comment

iv gone through spots and my car was steaming like crazy from the exhaust being under water. With a hot cat- it was a smoke show lol Just looking for any stories related to this idea since this community is on the low side. i would think there would be more input and experience with this (not WARPING the block) but with getting through water with a slammed vehicle/and or any problems encountered.

i have to watch where i park, if it rains a lot it usually floods over the curbs and sometimes im parked right by one during this. iv gone outside and had a river pretty much in my engine bay with the water pretty much all the way up the pan. i didnt even try and move it for fear that i could mess something up be starting the car with parts of it dunked in the freezing water
                      Last edited by CHIF8008; 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM.
                      Got Drop??

Comment

Most E21s have an m10. Especially if they're NA spec. I also don't know why you guys are giving him such a hard time for getting a term/phrase wrong. I drive a low(?) e21 and have never had a problem. Between the side walk and my garage the gutter always clogs on both sides which creates a decently deep river in my culdesac. I park in my garage and have never had any problems reversing into it while leaving or coming in hot. Like these guys said, you should be worried about sucking water in. For a better understanding you could post a thread in bimmerforums.com/forums in the e21 sections. Super nice guys with lots of information to share.

Comment

brothers e21 was m52b28 swapped. i knew we sucked in water, hence the bent rods. The steam just got me thinking about expanding and contracting metals due to temperature change.

on another note. if it flooded and your exhaust was submerged while the car was parked wouldn't the whole muffler be full of water? id image it would eventually burn out, but i just park on the higher ground when a storm rolls in.
                          Got Drop??

Comment

Originally posted by CHIF8008 View Post
                            on another note. if it flooded and your exhaust was submerged while the car was parked wouldn't the whole muffler be full of water? id image it would eventually burn out, but i just park on the higher ground when a storm rolls in.
                            Yes. It'll eventually evaporate out just from how warm the exhaust is once you've got the motor going again.

If the engine is relatively small, it can also be very difficult to get it started again if the tailpipe is under water. All the water acts like a potato in the tailpipe. I had an L-series Subaru that stalled while crossing a creek and I wound up having to drive it out on the starter. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                            X