savin a shark e24 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• savin a shark e24 build

most of you know and werent too happy with my decision to sell my e28. well it went to a good home and actually to a member on here. i sold it to finish up my e36 well that got finished and then chaged up. i found myself wanting another project. i thought about doing another e28 but wanted something different. my buddy logan said e24 and i checked some out and was set on buying one but the guy sold it the day i got the money. oh well the search continued. i was on a pretty tight deadline for this cause i was leaving for school january 20th and it was already the end of december. and i was working full time through this whole build.

i kept looking and found an add that said "e24 divorce forces sale call for details." well no pictures it was a shot in the dark but i called up and the guy said it doesnt run its an auto been sitting since 03 the paint is kinda trashed but i want $200 for it. i got off the phone not knowing to think then i gave austin driggers a call knowing he was going to part out his car i called to see how much for motor tranny and diff. we came to an agreement so i called the guy back and told him ill be down there (3 hours away) that weekend with a trailer to pick it up. he had sent me a few pictures and i saw a car full of potential. heres what he sent me.

it started out on saturday around 10AM me and logan set out for Mariposa CA with a rented trailer from uhaul a truck and a full tank of gas all compliments of my dad. well like idiots we forgot an ipod so we were stuck with the radio the whole time. basically they played lil wayne, jayz, lil wayne, lady gaga and lil wayne. it ended up being a pretty fun trip we dicked around quite a bit and it was funny watching peoples faces as we passed them in a chevy avalance towing a trailer doing over 100mph. we finally arrived at the guys house around 1:30PM. checked out the car and loaded it up. we hit up taco bell on the way home and snapped a quick picture. we ended up home around 6PM with my prize!! now the funn starts.

we got up sunday and kida started working on the car. at this point my dad didnt want me to use the garage which later changes and it was raining!!! we got a few little things done in the engine bay nothing major but hey it was a start at this point. i think we got the wiring all disconnected and coolant hoses off. just prep work for pulling the motor out.

dragonfly in the engine bay

we pulled the old motor out and cleaned the engine bay the whole bay was a MESS!!!! black shit everywhere. we found that mice had been living in the car over its parked period but it seemed like for only a short time. we found 2 chewed wires in the whole car. one for a side marker light which we ran new wire for and one for the window washer bottle that was coming out anyways. damn did we luck out on this!!

i ordered a ton of part i was going to need from performance technic and was waiting on them before i could move further with the build. i was also waiting for the weekend so i could head up to austins and pull all the stuff from his car. in the mean time i realigned the front valence and got to work pulling apart the interior and cleaning it all! this car was nasty i havent ever seen something this bad before.

clean engine bay

realigned front valence

before:

after:

stripped dirty interior

after tons of scrubbing and vaccuuming it finally had clean carpet.

that weekend i headed up to austins house and pulled absolutely everything. i thought i was just going to grab the motor tranny and diff. well i got up there and ended up leaving with that plus coilovers, camberplates, all new brakes, strut bars brand new driveshaft, new Dinan chipped ECU, b35 coil and an exhaust. . unfortunatley i wasnt able to get any pictures but it was a weekend i will remember. we worked out a price we were both happy with and i was off home with more goodies!

the biggest thing i was worried about with this build was figuring out how to get an automatic pedalbox to work with a manual car. i used austins to cut the piece i needed off and was able to weld it up to my old box took alot of measurements and it all turned out just the way i was hoping. welded the new tab on and it was in the exact position i needed!!

chopping the other bracket for the tab you see here.

new bracket welded upand ready to go

i bought austins groundcontrol coilover set up but the struts were trashed so i had to fabricate my own this is the 4th time ive done it so it was much easier it took about 2 hours start to finish. measuring out how far down to weld the perch. 4.5" down sounded like a good number to me.

one of my favorit things to do is welding so i was pumped i got to build the set up again. some pics of me welding the perches on the strut housings.

and the finished welding product.

both struts welded and painted.

the next thing on the list while all the interior was still out was running all new speaker wires an amp a sub and a new deck. it is kinda shittily done at this point so i wont go into too much detail but it will be getting redone over summer.

logan the electrical genious at work doing his thing.

after that was all done and the ac was all deleted we installed the rear seats and all the center console.

this was a pretty big boost in confidece for me cause it was starting to look like a car again and i was starting to put parts back on the car instead of taking them off and putting them in my garage!! we pretty much took the next week off cause i was working and we were running ourselves into the ground getting the car done. we also knew the next weekend was going to be a big push. we needed to get the coilovers in, front and rear strutbars in, new brakes on, motor tranny and diff in, pedal bracket in and get the car running by the next wednesday.

i did a few clean up things through the week but didnt push too hard. then saturday came. we had another failry early start around 8am i put the coilovers together swapped brake calipers and rotors then sean and bryan showed up with my wheels we put those on and dicked around for a little bit they left and we got back to work. turned the car around and pushed it into the garage.

we got to work and worked hard and worked all through the night to get the car going. im just going to let the pictures do the talking on this part. you all know whats going on.

picture taken around 12AM. i look tired there and we worked till about 9am sunday morning.

that night we got absolutely everything done. tried firing the car up it started then died about 5 secinds later. tried that a few more times and same thing. we checked everything and found a ground wire at the back of the motor not connected. connected that up and bam it fired up!!! damn i was sooooooo happy. we finished all the little things up like installing the exhaust lowering the coilovers bleeding brakes and clutch lines. filling the coolant and powersteering up. putting the front seats in. we finally lowered it down and backed it out. for the first time since i got the car. i was able to check if things were working. to our amazement absolutely everything in the car and i mean everything worked! its a miracle to say the least. we cleaned up before we decided to take it for a test drive. we drove it around my area for about 20 minutes all was good i looked at logan and said does he want to drive it. he jumps in and drives about 2 miles. then all power cut to the car. we pulled over walked back to my house in the pouring rain completely pissed off and not knowing what it was. we checked things out and found that the fuel pump had died on us. shit i had to order a new one. it arrived a few days later. by this time i had missed my move in date. but its ok i was able to move in that weekend. i got the fuel pump on friday i installed it and drove it again. this time no issues!! man i was so releaved! after all the hard work i was able to take it to get smogged. i went down and the guys tested the evap system before anything. the fucking thing was leaking! and bad. dejected i went home got new evap system hose and got to work changing it. i found one of the hoses in the engine bay basically cut all the way through. i replaced the two in the engine bay but by that time it was too late for smog and i had to move for school. i took my e36 to school for the next week. i went home the next weekend and took it for smog. it passed the evap test this time! i was excited. while the guy was testing my car he said it doesnt look good for me. miraculously the car passed by 3 points at idle and was amazing under throttle! i was sooo relieved. took it and got it registered and i was pumped! i drove it to SF that night to watch supercross and it drove amazing! the next day i was taking my girlfriend back to school then going to mine. i drove it a total 350 miles in the period of 2 days! i still cant get over how nice the car is to ride in. i ended up hitting the ground pretty hard last night and breaking the metal motor mount on the engine. luckily i had grabbed some spare parts for the car. spent an hour this morning changing it out.

i cant be happier with the car this far.

how it sits at the moment....

plans for this summer are getting a full color change, new interior, new control arms, all new bushings, a set of wheels for some crazy fitment, and a few other little things. keep an eye out for updates!!

let me know what yall think!!!!!

Oh my, thats sexy.

Comment

+1 very sexy

Comment

Glad to see it was rescued and in good hands.

Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Comment

another shark brought from the darkness..... very nice

1990 325is- current project
          1986 325e- Parts Donator
          2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
          1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

Comment

beautifully executed.
            http://www.flickr.com/r_sotelo

Comment

she is looking absolutely fabulous
              love it

Comment

Those wheels can't get away from Bronzit cars... Haha

Comment

Awesome thread! Can't wait to see whats next!

Comment

awesome build
                    2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
                    2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
                    1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

awesome! Clean e24!

Comment

Awesome work!

I think a shark project is in my future for sure.

Comment

Quite a transformation so quickly. Makes me feel like lame. Well executed B

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Sweet build thread fella car looks amazing so far,top job glad its all working out the way you want it to.
                            Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

Awesome work!

Comment

Working...
                              X