wheel nuts keep coming loose, wtf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel nuts keep coming loose, wtf

So i got my new wheels on the car and am having a very weird problem.

Wheels in question are bbs rs. i put the wheels on and screwed the oem wheel nuts and after market lock nuts on. Drove down the freeway on the way to work and my steering wheel was vibrating like a mofo, so i stopped and checked the wheel nuts and the front driver wheel had about 3 loose wheel nuts, tightened them up and off i went, 5 mins later, same thing. So i dropped into my tire place and he suggested i buy open end wheel nuts as the oem nuts (closed end) may not be reaching enough. Bought the open ends, torqued them all to 110nm, all good.

Drove home form work ~20km, drove back the next morning ~20km, lunch break i drove to get a wheel alignment, as i pulled in the driveway of the shop i hear this rattling sound. Yeah you guessed it, the lock nut of that same front driver wheel had come off and was rolling around behind the center cap. Grabbed the torque wrench, re torqued them all. The lock nut had totally come off and one other nut had come loose. Got the alignment and drove back to the tire place to see if they knew what was going on. They hadn't seen this before, he was pretty stumped because he torqued the nuts himself and i watched closely. He checked them again, all wheel nuts were at 110nm except this fucking front driver, one of the nuts has come a little loose.

He took the wheel off and sussed out everything, how the wheel nut seats onto the wheel, checked the studs and threads,checked everything. All looked fine, he couldn't work it out. His final consensus was that the wheels were designed for those wheels nuts that screw into the wheel hubs, so screw on wheel nuts are not working. Still didn't/doesn't make much sense though, the nuts are seated perfectly on the wheel and everything screws up fine? this has me baffled.

Wheels and car in question are
    06 NC MX5
    BBS RS 16x8 +42 front and 16x8 +40 rear.

They have been powder coated black, not sure whether that has something to do with this. Where the nut holds the wheel on, the powder coat has come off and it is bare metal so doubt that;s a problem.

Who ever can point me in the right direction gets beer dropped to there door.

Cheers fellas

one thing I forgot to as you, when the tyres were fitted, did the wheels balance up alright?
    Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

place that fitted them is the same place that helped with the wheel nuts. they never said anything once the tyres were fitted so I am guessing so.

Comment

Shouldn't matter if its bolts or studs, I run both no problems on the same seat of wheels.
        I didn't think jap cars it seemed to matter... But do you hubs have a hub centre spigot? If so, are the wheels the correct size for that? I know on vws we got crazy vibrations etc if not running them correctly.
        Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

maybe get your girlfriend to do them up...........

Comment

Sounds like the wheels arnt sitting flat on the wheel hub. The vibration will loosen your nuts.

Comment

Are they all the same #RS centers? You covered most things that I can think of, centerbore slightly too small, paint/powder on the seats, bent wheel. The only last thing I can think of is if one wheel has Vw-style ball seat lug bolts and you're using regular taper seat.

Try swapping the offending wheel to the other side front and see if the bolts fall off with the wheel or the hub.

Comment

is the hub of your wheels painted? i found when my wheels were rebuilt the painter sprayed the hubs aswell and was causing issues with my wheel nuts coming undone so i rubbed them back and haven't had an issue since

Comment

should of mentioned, center bores were re drilled to perfect size, they do seem really tight though, I had to get a mallet and whack it off. could this be the prob? it is not powder coated in there, it's bare metal.

where the wheel meets the hub is powder coated, would that make a difference?

Comment

Bit far fetched, but what are the odds you got the wrong thread sized lug nuts? If your hub is 1.5 for eg. and your nuts are 1.25 - and if the tyre guy doesnt know jack, could result in it constantly coming loose?

Comment

No George.. only a full retard would keep threading the wrong thread nut.
                      Originally posted by anth
                      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Never go full retard

Comment

Plug that would work as locktite if he could even get it threaded on all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                            No George.. only a full retard would keep threading the wrong thread nut.
                            Then we must have a lot to full retards working as mechanics haha coz ive seen dickheads do stupid shit just like that

Comment

nuts haven't come loose after the torque to 130.. see how I go. and yeah the nuts are def right size lol

Comment

Working...
                              X