Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Spark Plug?

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my spark plugs and I'm a little confused. In all your threads about spark plugs I noticed that pretty much most of you guys run with NGK-BKR7E for your 1.8T.

As I understand it, you should use NGK-BKR7E with a .028mm gap if your car is chipped and NGK-BKR6E with a .032mm gap if it's stock. Right? An Aftermarket Autoparts Centre just told me that I should go with NGK-BKUR6ET? Is this correct?

I'm not sure if American cars are set up different from the ones we have here in South Africa. I don't know what to do. Please help? You guys are the experts.

ps. for those who don't now, my baby is a 1999 A4 1.8T FWD. Yes FWD!

stock is 0.032, chipped is .028

even if you buy pre-gaped plugs, you should check them.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
      stock is 0.032, chipped is .028
      This applies to US emissions spec vehicles using fuel available at the pump in the US.
      In many cases South African vehicles are set up significantly different from US emissions compliant vehicles.

OP:
      Do you know the Octane (RON) of the fuels you are using? Also I need the elevation(altitude) above sea level where you live and the whether you have chipped you car or turned up the boost in another manner. I know on some grey market BMWs that were imported from there I've had to change several things to have them run properly on US fuels. I have all the info to find you the best plug for your conditions I just need to know what those conditions are.

Generally the local parts house would know better than most on this board since they are in the area you are and are used to specing parts for your fuel supply and elevation. Even here in the US tuning a car to run on fuel from California, or at high elevations like in parts of Colorado you will quickly find that ther is no magic tune that works best everywhere.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by CARADDICT View Post
        Hi all,

I'm looking to change my spark plugs and I'm a little confused. In all your threads about spark plugs I noticed that pretty much most of you guys run with NGK-BKR7E for your 1.8T.

As I understand it, you should use NGK-BKR7E with a .028mm gap if your car is chipped and NGK-BKR6E with a .032mm gap if it's stock. Right? An Aftermarket Autoparts Centre just told me that I should go with NGK-BKUR6ET? Is this correct?

I'm not sure if American cars are set up different from the ones we have here in South Africa. I don't know what to do. Please help? You guys are the experts.

ps. for those who don't now, my baby is a 1999 A4 1.8T FWD. Yes FWD!
        American Plugs
        NGK-BKR6E -standard plug in US
        NGK-BKR7E -one range colder for use if chipped in US

South African Plugs
        NGK-BKUR6ET -different ground electrode configuration and discharge type other wise same spec as US.
        NGK-BKUR7ET -Same electrode and discharge type as above but one range colder for slightly higher boost. (I.E. a chipped South African car.)

My best guess as to why your plugs are slightly different, is that the fuel supply might be less consistant quality than here in the US thus the negative electrode change to make the plugs more resistant to fouling.

Comment

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the detailed info. I never thought of taking in account the location and octane. I'll the go back to the Audi service centre and ask them to supply me with the plugs suitable for my car. BTW, if it means anything to you, all I now about the fuel here is that it's 95 octane unleaded. As for the altitude, well, Cape Town lies at an altitude of 42 metres.

Thanks again so much for the detailed reply. I know I came to the right place with my question. You guys are indeed the experts.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
          X