Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset Question

Hey Guys,
    Ok, so i have asked this question on jdmst but it seems they are only good at buying wheels, not building wheels =/
    I have built some Volk GR-C's, the fronts have gone from 16x7+35 to 16x8+38 and the rears from 16x8 to 16x8.5.
    From my understanding to get offset of the wheels i measure from inside of lip to the other inside of lip and then halve it, then go inside the wheel where that half is and measure from bolt face to achieve offset.

now i have done that with the front and got same offset as before rebuild, but the rears i got a MASSIVE positive offset and im stressing because it's going to require a fair chunk of spacer to pull a decent fitment.

Have i done this right?

yep. offset is basically the distance from the centre line of the wheel to the mounting face.
    so you can establish the centre line by halfing the width of the wheel, then the distance from that to the mounting face.

I normally measure the wheel over all (x), then measure the mounting face to the back of the wheel (y).

half the first measurement (x/2), then take that measurement from 'y'
    so y-(x/2) should give you the offset

Check out post two, pictures ftw
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...tml#post854808
    Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

Since when was dylan my math teacher? Haha

Comment

Here's another one.
        It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

ProfesSIR Dylan laying some knowledge on yo ass.
          Originally posted by TRaNz
          We ride homos together, we die homos together. Homos 4 Lyfe. <3

Comment

Cheers Dylan and MrDanGuy this has helped ALOT, it's told me i need to run some decent size spacers as going that extra half inch in the rear has caused the inner clearance to me 6mm less

Comment

great info man

Comment

Ok so i am still confused...

I have done ALL the measurements twice and still coming up with an answer that doesnt sound right.

I had 16x8 +38 originally and i added an extra inch in lip which without realising there was only half inch in the lip and half inch in barrel so it gave me 16x8.5... when i did measurement for offset it read near 50mm positive! how the hell?!? surely your offset only changes to more positive if you change the barrel size.

Comment

if you added half a inch each side it should make the 8" wheel a 9" and offset shouldnt really change...
                  take some photos of what you are measuring both before and after bigger lips/barrels?
                  Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

It's hard to explain but i took the old lips off the 16x8"s thinking they were an inch bigger than the front pair (16x7) so i asked craig at whitehorse to make same size lips as fronts to achieve 16x8 all round. Problem was the rear barrels were half inch bigger than the fronts so i actually made them 16x8.5. I will get photos this afternoon plus put it next to the other original 16x8"s.

Comment

16x8 +38 +0.5" Lip = 16x8.5 et30/31.

Comment

It seems the volk wheels lie in a way, the sticker says 16x8+38 buuut they were made from factory with adaptors so you could run them on 4x114.3 and they were 10mm....

so the real sizings are 16x8 +48.....faaaaaaaaaaaaark, wish i had known that before the rebuild. so your calculations mean that they should be 16x8.5 +41 but when i measure them i still get that 48ish result

Comment

Working...
                        X