Too much noise! What muffler to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much noise! What muffler to get?

Been scrolling through Summit Racing, but can't seem to get any wiser...
    My car puts out 98db at 3000rpm, lol. It's just too much, it's not even funny. Keeping a conversation is a PITA.

Been thinking of trying out this one
    Free Shipping - Vibrant Performance Ultra-Quiet Resonators with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Resonators at Summit Racing.

It has to be straight throu-design and stainless steel.
    Last edited by Andersg; 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM.

If you have full exhaust just a muffler wouldn't make a diffrence. What's your piping size?

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

3" stainless from the turbo and back. 2 mufflers. The mufflers are some super cheap crap, it all came in a set for somewhere around 600$. Thats all stainless!

Comment

If there is anyway you wanted to back down the noise, it would have to be getting a pipe made with an E-Cutout or dropping down to 2.5 pipiping.Turbo cars have to have 3'' piping to have flow, non turbo cars max is 2.5 because any higher it would not have back pressure. So if i was you i would look into a E-Cutout. What it is, is a throttle body made into a pipe and ran by a switch to open or close.Open is noisy and close is stock car tone. But to save money and would help just a little on the tone would be a muffler or a smaller tip one!

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

What car / power you making? 2.5" is will flow plenty good enough for 250bhp so If you can drop down a size as said or buy a larger mid/rear section with more packing.

Comment

^ Agree that also can work.

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

It's a Volvo 940, 2.3L 4cyl 8 valve turbo in the 250/300bhp region @ the flywheel. I'll try out some better mufflers. Never heard an 4cyl turbo with two mufflers beeing THAT loud before, they must really suck :p

Comment

^^^^^^Me either with a muffler, But i guess it's possible!

So you Fancy Huh!!

Comment

Run the longest resonator you can and a decent muffler. Should quiet it up quite a bit. If that doesn't work. Run a Y pipe and go dual.
                  It's like rock-crawling... in the streets...

Comment

Fixed! Magnaflow XL 24" muffler with homemade tip.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by hondarida5 View Post
                        If there is anyway you wanted to back down the noise, it would have to be getting a pipe made with an E-Cutout or dropping down to 2.5 pipiping.Turbo cars have to have 3'' piping to have flow, non turbo cars max is 2.5 because any higher it would not have back pressure. So if i was you i would look into a E-Cutout. What it is, is a throttle body made into a pipe and ran by a switch to open or close.Open is noisy and close is stock car tone. But to save money and would help just a little on the tone would be a muffler or a smaller tip one!
                        I don't even know where to start at with this post. There is no size exhaust has to be for XXXX engine. It depends on the engine, the extent of air flow in/out, compression, and personal preference.
                        Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

This is a great read on the subject:

If you're a math wiz and/or an engineer, you're probably going to like this article and the resources we've linked to. However, if you find yourself getting stuck (or bored) with the info below, here are the key take-aways: 1. The factory exhaust pipe diameter is usually a good choice for most vehicles. 2. The
                          Instagram: @Eurow

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyRa View Post
                            I don't even know where to start at with this post. There is no size exhaust has to be for XXXX engine. It depends on the engine, the extent of air flow in/out, compression, and personal preference.
                            Agreed. Much voodoo magic goes into proper exhaust pipe sizes, especially with tuned cars...
                            -Christian.

'91 318iS AW2/blk slow garage queen/build...
                            '02 ///M3 carbonschwartz 6MT daily beast
                            '37 Chevy pickup-garagequeen...

Comment

Working...
                            X