SMIC upgrades for 1.8t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIC upgrades for 1.8t

I'm sort of lost about this. I want to upgrade my inter cooler to make sure my car functions as it should. I'm almost certain that a massive FMIC is unnecessary, plus I don't like the look of it.

I have an f4 kit from frankenturbo, & a flash from Upsolute(soon to change, I'd like to invest in Unitronic). From what I've read, it doesn't seem like more than an upgraded side mount is needed? I don't plan to push it up to 30+ psi or anything crazy, but maybe a few notches up from the current 14 psi. Would this be safe with just a bigger side mount? If so, is a name brand inter cooler worth the extra money?

This is what I'm looking at:

So, the 1.8T guys found a cheap bolt in intercooler for their cars. It's $135 shipped in the US and the guys on vortex love it! Everything I've found says the 1.8T intercooler and TDI intercoolers are the same, so it should work no issues on the TDI...

VS.

I also read about another "ebay brand" called 'god speed'.. All of the cheaper ones I've found, I figure, are probably about the same.. They also have similar dimensions, but I realize size & looks may not be the only things to consider about an inter cooler. In the particular thread above, they have good things to say. As well as on the tex.. Since those people could be idiots, I wanted to double check if something of such a price will be safe & worth the buy.

edit: I also was looking at some threads about 1.8t's and read about the rods failing. On FT's website they specifically talk about that if upgrading to their f23 set up. Just for my own sake of worries, is this at any point something to worry about with my tiny turbo? I realize these questions may be silly, but it's all new to me. Just want to make sure I don't screw myself.

-Tanner
Working...
X