X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 going limp...

As in limp mode.

Story:
    On july 14th 2009, my 93' 325is auto tranny with 140xxx miles had the gearbox light go one and went into limp mode (only 3 gear). Did some research via this thread and found out that the only way to "fix" this problem is to replace the tranny...so I thought. Mom gave me money to replaced the tranny, problem solved.

Fast forward to now. So I drive about 200 miles each weekend to and from college. So driving home today it started to feel like it was slipping. Go out to pick up my girlfriend and then BOOM! gearbox light and limp mode again!!!! Basically my mom said oh well and its my fault that I bought a used car with high milage (even tho I told her when it happened the first time that its going to keep happening unless I do a 5spd swap, but what do I know, im just a machanic speciallizing in german cars ). My dad through the option about buying me a new car, but then all the parts I bought, some still haven't been installed (style 19s and coilovers) just gone out the window.

So now im left with 3 options: Replace transmission again, Do a 5-speed swap, or part out the car and start shopping for a new one. Replacing/swapping the transmission again would cost over a grand, money I don't have. I have another car I can DD while parting out the E36, but then all the parts,wheels, upgrades, ect would just be sold . Im not sure what to do. Help?

-Dan

id say if your dad bought you a new car that would be an upgrade from an e36, screw the style 19s and coilovers. sell them. you wont lose much but it would be worth it to get into a better car. now if you have love for the car, then thats a different story. i like these cars alot, but mine arent my main source of transportation. also, it would be nice to try something new if you are tired of the car. part it out, make some money, and put it towards the new car. you can easily make a grand or more parting it out. thats a win situation if you ask me.
    Last edited by NegativeCamber; 01-16-2010, 03:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Its more then just coilovers and wheels. I spent about $1800 in performance parts. Im just pissed that she blamed me for the transmission going out and told me its not her problem.

Anyway im going over to my grandpas. Hopefully he brings up "hows your car running" and offers to throw some money my way. Loaded grandparents FTW.

-Dan

Comment

I to have the loaded grand parents, when they used to ask me how my car waz i would stretch it out, i would be like "the car is a little shaky when i hit 40 it doesnt feel very safe" then they would say "oh i dont want my grand baby drivin a dangerous car" then boom they would throw me like $500 for repairs lmao. But i say part it out.

1990 325is- current project
        1986 325e- Parts Donator
        2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
        1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

Comment

Originally posted by BMWerke View Post
          I to have the loaded grand parents, when they used to ask me how my car waz i would stretch it out, i would be like "the car is a little shaky when i hit 40 it doesnt feel very safe" then they would say "oh i dont want my grand baby drivin a dangerous car" then boom they would throw me like $500 for repairs lmao. But i say part it out.
          Same thing here. My grandpa asked about my style 19s and I was like "eh, im not sure they are going on my bmw. The transmission is going out again and im not sure how much longer it will last, it doesn't feel like it can make the trip to college much longer...but the new bmw 135i would!" But no go

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wheelfetish View Post
            Same thing here. My grandpa asked about my style 19s and I was like "eh, im not sure they are going on my bmw. The transmission is going out again and im not sure how much longer it will last, it doesn't feel like it can make the trip to college much longer...but the new bmw 135i would!" But no go
            Lmao....i kno the feeling

1990 325is- current project
            1986 325e- Parts Donator
            2000 e46 w/ BBS #197-Totaled!!!
            1989 Turbo/intercooled 740 Volvo-Donated

"Once you buy a BMW you will notice that over the years you will slowly become a certified mechanic, your trunk will be filled with coolant, rags and ATF fluid but your life will feel complete". - Me

Comment

Working...
            X