No announcement yet.

Is this tyre size calculator reliable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this tyre size calculator reliable?

Just in case it doesn't come up with the numbers i've entered, here they are:

Before: 195 60 14 6 24
    After: 195 50 15 7 20

My question is: Will the 'After' tyre and wheel combo really give me a smaller diameter in total, therefore making me sit even lower? Just seems unrealistic

it can depend on the model of tyre too.

off the top of my head the second one is a smaller tyre
    Sarcasm is easily calculated on vortex dude. Take 4 parts GLI lip and divide by BBS RS. If you are left with a remainder, subtract it from omgmoarlow. Profit.

Comment

Yes, you will be around 6mm lower.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...&Submit=Submit

Here's another one which is simpler to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by dylan8 View Post
        it can depend on the model of tyre too.

off the top of my head the second one is a smaller tyre
        Well the second tyre is bigger diameter wise, just the aspect ratio is lower, but not that much lower... so i didn't think it would make that much of a difference!

Originally posted by jcflowers View Post
        Yes, you will be around 6mm lower.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php...&Submit=Submit

Here's another one which is simpler to follow.
        Ahh that sucks! was hoping i'd have to wind my coils down if anything once i got bigger wheels. Now they'll probably have to go up

thanks for the tip dude!

Comment

I'm going from 175/70/14 on 14x5.5 or something to 195/55/15 on 15x7.5 rims. I would've liked to go a lower profile tyre or something but I'm the same reason.. You might have to go to 195/55 (same as me). that will raise your car almost 3mm from your old rims so you can wind coils down a tiny bit.

Also, don't forget about speedo and if you change it too much, you'll need re-calibration. But if you run smaller wheels - less chance of tickets haha.

Comment

I'm going from 175/70/14 on 14x5.5 or something to 195/55/15 on 15x7.5 rims. I would've liked to go a lower profile tyre or something but I'm the same reason.. You might have to go to 195/55 (same as me). that will raise your car almost 3mm from your old rims so you can wind coils down a tiny bit.

Also, don't forget about speedo and if you change it too much, you'll need re-calibration. But if you run smaller wheels - less chance of tickets haha.
            Yeh I'm thinkin of going a 55, will fill out the wheel gap a little better, plus i don't mind a bit of rubber, doesn't look so bad on older cars.

Only thing is I'm thinking a 55 will be a fair bit more expensive? they seem to be a lot less common than 50's or 40's.... or maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places

EDIT: your avi looks insane BTW!

Comment

Yeah, 195/55/15 are definitely available. If you don't care about brand or whatever, you can get them for $60 each on eBay. If you want a leading brand like yokohama, bridgestone, toyo, pirelli then you'll probably be paying a fair bit.

Thanks for the kind words that's my ke70. It's got 175/60/14 Pirelli P6 on 14x7 or 14x7.5.. I can't remember. I got the tyres and wheels in a package so it was a very good deal for me haha.

I was referring to my daily earlier - Work Equip 03s in 15x7 and 15x7.5 with 195/55

What ride will yours be going on to?

Ah also to consider: The lower profile tends to change the load rating unless you want to spend extra $$$. most 195/55 are arounf an 85 load rating, whereas 195/50 are often 82. These load ratings are a roadworthy item and the cops like to use them as a back-up for defects and to give out a major rather than a minor. A friend got dicked on the load rating rather than it being too low because the load rating is apparently a major safety concern or something. I dunno, I'll get whatever because if I'm going to be defected I'll have stock wheels and tyres anyway.
              Last edited by jcflowers; 07-30-2012, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Yeah, 195/55/15 are definitely available. If you don't care about brand or whatever, you can get them for $60 each on eBay. If you want a leading brand like yokohama, bridgestone, toyo, pirelli then you'll probably be paying a fair bit.

Thanks for the kind words that's my ke70. It's got 175/60/14 Pirelli P6 on 14x7 or 14x7.5.. I can't remember. I got the tyres and wheels in a package so it was a very good deal for me haha.

I was referring to my daily earlier - Work Equip 03s in 15x7 and 15x7.5 with 195/55

What ride will yours be going on to?

Ah also to consider: The lower profile tends to change the load rating unless you want to spend extra $$$. most 195/55 are arounf an 85 load rating, whereas 195/50 are often 82. These load ratings are a roadworthy item and the cops like to use them as a back-up for defects and to give out a major rather than a minor. A friend got dicked on the load rating rather than it being too low because the load rating is apparently a major safety concern or something. I dunno, I'll get whatever because if I'm going to be defected I'll have stock wheels and tyres anyway.
                I'll definitely go cheapies for the moment.

Maybe even ask a mate if i can jump in the tyres bin of his shop to see if i can find something decent!

I thought it looked like it was tucking too much rubber for a daily haha

Mines going on my E30 which is my daily (don't know where all you guys still on your p's can affor to have project cars + daily's!)

couldn't find the load rating needed but just had a look at the load rating on the tyres on my bottle caps and they're 86... so i'd imagine it's gonna be a dog to find something right
                Last edited by joeseinfeld; 08-01-2012, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X