Axle Bind Woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Bind Woes...

Hey guys, it seems that since I've lowered my car the axles bind pretty badly. I know that I can get spacers and move the motor up and whatnot, but how would I go about doing so? I've also heard of shortening the cv axles but I fail to see how this will help the axle binding issue. Any help is greatly appreciated and heres a pic of the car in question:

cut them with a pipe cutter. buddy (who is a very skilled welder) tigged them back together. then we used a sleeve hammered over the axle. make sure the sleeve is a very tight fix. so like heat the sleeve and put the axle in the freezer. then weld both seams of the sleeve. MK1 dudes have been doing this for a wile no issues.
    doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

Youre just talking about shortening the axles right? I have a shop that will cut and shorten them and re balance them as well. But I'm confused as to what happens when you shorten the axle that helps. And also, how much to shorten them by? Thanks for your input!

Comment

it helps because as you lower the car it puts the axles on a angle causing the CV's the bind. its hard to understand unless you understand how a CV works. when you shorten the axles it helps straighten out the CV allowing it to move with out binding. my driver side (the short axle) is 10mm shorted and the pasangerside 5mm.

Comment

I kinda understand that. But how would one figure out how much to cut out of each axle?

Comment

axle bind rules

Comment

Originally posted by RandyO View Post
              I kinda understand that. But how would one figure out how much to cut out of each axle?
              no clue. kinda just guessed based other peoples measurements I've found on vortex. I'm not sure how they decided also. lol sorry i know that was no help.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
                no clue. kinda just guessed based other peoples measurements I've found on vortex. I'm not sure how they decided also. lol sorry i know that was no help.

haha no problems man! I recently lowered it about an inch up front and the axle bind seems to have went away? I'm not sure if I should be happy or scared. lol

Comment

Working...
                X