Detroit. :shifty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detroit. :shifty

some pics of shitty stuff i've taken. i'll start with the oldest, which might include an abundance of HDR's. i don't do many of them these days, but i went through a phase.

the early early days. kit lens, no clue as to what i was doing whatsoever. these were before i even knew what the light meter in the camera was for. i would take like 10 shots of the same shit and never get the right exposure.

first trip to the packard auto plant. its old, built in like 1910 and has been empty for a long time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard

this one is at the Russell Industrial building. it's still in use today.

then we went to the fisher body plant 21. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_Body

first time i ever used the fiddy prime.

a little shaky, but it was worth keeping at the time because it was such a cool painting.

i forget the name of this place. i want to say its called the globe trade building or something. its right on the river, and a bunch of dudes live there.

there is actually a dude sitting in the bottom left corner reading a newspaper. hard to make him out, but i assure you he is there. lol.

this was back at the packard plant. its by a local artist that goes by "rodeo." i really dont know much about the guy, but supposedly he's part of a group of artists that call themselves "the leather jackets." he does some cool shit, and there will be more of his work posted in here.

a small blog about the leather jackets. apparently this dude doesnt like them so much. lol. http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=326

stay tuned.
    Last edited by Dane; 01-07-2010, 02:02 PM.

Canon, Fuji, Mamiya, Minolta + Pentax.

Good stuff dude.
    I know I've seen some of these before, but I can't remember where.

Comment

Where in michigan are you? I am up in Flint at Kettering Univ. There is a really sweet thread like this on the BFC (unfortunately). Shit ass area, yet it makes for the perfect canvas.

Comment

grimey!
        -Jorge-

Comment

Originally posted by Burn535i View Post
          Where in michigan are you? I am up in Flint at Kettering Univ. There is a really sweet thread like this on the BFC (unfortunately). Shit ass area, yet it makes for the perfect canvas.
          thats my thread.
          flint town, eh? sorry about your luck. haha.

street fighter shoes. required when navigating the streets of the D.

i only have a few shots of this place because it is completely sealed up these days. its the old Book Depository or DPS (detroit public schools) storage facility. the place is filled with pallets of old, unused books. art supplies, etc, etc. last time i was there, there was a couple of guys living in there. they had a small fire going to keep them warm (it was in like january or something). anyhow, the guys used the books to keep the fire going. on the top floor of the building there are birch trees growing. one of them is big, real big. the trunk is probably a good 10" thick. its wild. they go right up through the roof. i dont know what you call it, but there were like little glass bubble type things on the roof to let in air and light. anyhow, the trees are growing out through those.

the reason it is locked up is because some guys were in the basement playing hockey last winter (rofl), and they noticed some dudes legs sticking out of the ice in the bottom of the elevator shaft. apparently he was scrapping stuff and fell down the shaft. oops!

Michigan Central Station. seems to be the favorite spot for out of town urbex guys.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Central_Station
          its a really cool old building that has been thrashed. they've filmed movies in there before. at the end of the first transformers movie, megatron plowed through one of the windows. i think a movie called the island was also filmed in there, etc.

more of that place later!

this is on an old trail called the Dequindre Cuts. just like a groove in the ground that went under all the streets and railways. anyhow, its now a bike path but they kept all the graffiti in tact.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dequindre_Cut
          this was one of the coolest ones i saw there.

cant remember the name of this school, but it's no longer there.

these were in the book depository.

roof of the book depository, the building in the background is the train station (michigan central station). you can see the tops of the birch trees.

Moar from the Packard Plant. keep in mind, the place is 3.5 MILLION square feet of stuff to walk around and look at. its relatively worry free there as well.
          rodeo again.

i thought this was going to be THE shot. lol, it didnt turn out quite like i had pictured it in my head. haha.

Packard plant on a nice day. i took this at the south end looking north. it extends several blocks.

Fisher Body 21 again.

Comment

Awesome stuff. You should come up and shoot Flint sometime.

Comment

im fucking skeered of flint!

Comment

i wish we had stuff like that here, makes for some awesome photos, lol.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

back to the Fisher Body plant, only this time with a tripod and my 10-20!

its rare to see a toilet completely intact. people break them with hammers and shit all the time. i threw one off the roof of a building once, it was ftw.

elevator shaft.....shaft.

2nd attempt, although still soft.

took my cousin to the Packard Plant with a case of beer one morning. he climbed up that boat into the window. the boat was poking through the roof on the lower part, but is now somewhere on the ground. some dudes picked it up and tossed it overboard. lol.

Train station. 19 stories and almost 100 years old.

out the window of the train station, looking down on the book depository. (where the found the popsicle guy in the elevator shaft)

screenshot from Fallout [video game].
                  actually its back at Packard.

Boblo Terminal. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boblo_Island i think the terminal is where you got on the boat to go to the island.

buddy on the right was filming a documentary style movie, so he was following us around a few weekends. he went to CCS.

Packard.

built ford tough!

Comment

Thanks for sharing your stuff man.

Love the one of the rusted out car in the warehouse.
                    Is it trespassing to go in those places?

Comment

yup, sure is.

i'll toss up some more before i head out. first real snow, i may meet up with some guys to go "snow drifting" on belle isle. it even has chicanes for when they do the detroit grand prix.
                      basically, it's an island in the middle of the Detroit river that is all one way traffic, never any cops, and theres a fucking race track there.

anyhow.

some old church. no names anywhere and the shots are pretty shoddy. but i was there a few weeks ago and its damn near cleaned out.

in the basement at the church. i think it was also a school as well. creeeeepy shit.

roof of the Lafayette building. they're currently tearing the bish down. i didnt really take any shots inside. it was dark and really boring.

roof of the train station. scary as shit. EVERYTHING was covered in ice. i almost fell off the ladder up where i took this. it was like someone dipped it in water and let it freeze.

bridge in the background = Ambassador bridge. connects windsor ontario and Detroit.

the first of many HDR's. Belle Isle Zoo. closed down in 2004 and really overgrown now. i was there a couple months ago, and it looks way different than this does. this is a couple years old now.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Isle_Park

no animals. i did make a few bucks off this one though.

starting with the zoo, the next 50 or so are all HDR's. so, sorry in advance. :lol:

some old steel mill or something that is closed down.

roof of the train station again.

train station from the outside. the 3 big windows in the front. i believe it was the one on the right side that Megatron smashed through in the first Transformers movie. :lol:

ambassador bridge.
                      on the left side of the river (detroit), the building closest to the water = GM world HQ. the renaissance center ("Ren Cen")

moar later.

Comment

I swear you could tell people that some of those shots were of Chernobyl and they'd believe you. Great shots!
                        Jason
                        flickr
                        build thread

Comment

Amazing, can't wait to see more!
                          Wut?

Comment

Looks like a fun time.

Comment

cool.

fisher body.

Good 'ole Belle Isle. you generally see cars parked there and people drinking and doing various illegal things when the sun starts to go down. and i never made it there tonight.

St. Agnes church. as you can see, someone beat us there and made off with all the pews.

Ambassador bridge.

Belle Isle bridge. its the only way onto the island, and off as well.

boat club, also belle isle.

old ass cemetery in D town.

there's a neighborhood on the east side with a canal going through it. it goes out to the river. as you can see, the water level was a bit low last year. lol.

these bitches are all over the place. stolen and stripped.

Comment

Working...
                              X