This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macpherson Strut Air System Stablization

Im driving a 1969 Datsun 510 4dr. sedan. Im currently on coilovers all around, but have decided that Id like to make the plunge (no pun intended) to get even lower. Im having some trouble figuring out what to do about the front suspension in regards to fitting up some sort of air suspension. Its a Macpherson strut system with basically all suspension connections going to the hub and the top of the strut goes through the strut tower. As you drive, all flex is transferred to the strut assembly. If you remove the struts to add in an air bag, that bag will now take all for the twisting and flexing directly.

Id rather not go to an air canister type system if I dont have to, as Id like the ride quality of actual bags if possible. Ive been thinking of creating some sort of upper control arm to stabilize the upper section of airbag strut, but that would be quite a job...

Curious to know if any of the more knowledgable guys out there have any suggestions.

--Tristin

No it won't, there will still be a strut/shock in place, just like a coilover. You need a bag over strut style system. Whether you use a universal kit that will work with your coilovers, or purchase a full strut/bag combo you can make that work just fine.

Comment

Some guys I know who bag quite regularly said that it was unsafe for the fronts... Maybe the qulity has changed since they paid attention. I know that Macpherson strut setups are one of the most common setups, so are others running close to the same suspension geometery with no issues?

Edit: Looked around the Bag Riders website for some photos for setups and see what I need to pick up. If I buy just the bags to convert my current struts, what keeps the bag at a consitent height on the strut? If you look at the picture, I can see that the top of the bag rests on the top of the strut acting as a top hat for coilovers, but what keep the bottom of the bag in the same location? I do not see any welds or collars... Universal looks like the route Im going to take as none of the mounting plates on any of the kits I can find match even close to what a 510 looks like.

Edit #2: Did some more snooping and it looks like there are spring perches that just werent in the pictures I was looking at. I looked over some threads on VWV and it plainly shows the bag is resting on a spring collar from the shock.
      Last edited by tristinGrind; 06-27-2012, 06:27 AM.
      --Tristin

Comment

There is a "spring" perch for it to rest on if you go the universal route, whether it in includes that, or you just have to fabricate one. It takes on no additional load over a spring, just simply goes in its place. Tons of people are running bags with a Macpherson setup, if you want to go that route you can get it to work no problem give the Bagriders or Airlift guys a call and I am sure they can explain it all even better than I am.

Comment

I think I got it... just a bit confused because of the pictures. I think I can make a system like this work. I will just need to figure out lengths and such for the compressed and extended strut.
          --Tristin

Comment

When did you get raised control arms, raised T/C rods, and sperical tie rod ends?

Just raise the motor/tranny half an inch .... .. and make an exaust tunnel ...... then you can daily drive on stiff coilovers lower than any bag will ever go

if the crossmember is lower than 2.5" off the ground,,, everything drags,, floorpans front and rear,, oil pan,, crossember, and rokers

You have tires very close to your coilovers already,,,, where's the bag going to fit???

^^ that strut doesn't go low enough .... .. so I made one 2" shorter ....... 4" shorter than stock ... now where's the bag fitting?

Comment

Still can't drag rockers though:

Comment

That was an image I took from the Interwebs Indy; it was the best view of the suspension I could find.

The big reason I want to run bags instead of the coils I already have, is that I want height adjustability. I want to be low as possible, but at the same time I want to raise the car up for speedbumps, driveways, and the shitty roads of Seattle.

Im still doing measurements for proper fitment, but I plan to run less backspacing to help fits bags as well as give me more dish once I decide to run flares.
                --Tristin

Comment

Just realized I'm in the wrong section... This is specifically for management. Oops... Feel free to move.
                  --Tristin

Comment

Originally posted by tristinGrind View Post
                    shitty roads of Seattle.
                    What do you mean? I-5 and Seattle roads are the best roads in the States. Just because they look like they've been shelled by artillery fire doesn't make them bad. Just gives them character.

Comment

Working...
                    X