Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

looking for a good DSLR ... Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for a good DSLR ... Any suggestions?

I'm really jealous of all your guys shots. I use my Iphone and my Nikon Cool pix for some of my photos. IVe been looking at some DSLR's for some awesome shots. ALOT of you guys have lots of skills and good cameras. Any thoughts would be good. Not sure on the price... im thinkin not any higher than $800. I found a good priced Nikon D3000, would that be good for a beginner and get good shots like you guys get?
    sigpic

My friend has a D40 and he gets some killer shots with it. And they are pretty reasonably priced. That way you could get another lens
    -Brandon-

Comment

Originally posted by RedE46Bimmer View Post
      My friend has a D40 and he gets some killer shots with it. And they are pretty reasonably priced. That way you could get another lens
      This, hunt around on CL for a d40.

Don't pay over 300 for one with a kit lens, and it should be in mint shape at that price.

Don't buy any more equipment or anything, just go use it. If you find that you keep using it, well then get more stuff or look at upgrading. You might just find this is all you need, if not you'll know a lot more and be ready to decide where you want to go next.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post

Don't pay over 300 for one with a kit lens, and it should be in mint shape at that price.

Don't buy any more equipment or anything, just go use it. If you find that you keep using it, well then get more stuff or look at upgrading. You might just find this is all you need, if not you'll know a lot more and be ready to decide where you want to go next.
        Sounds like a good camera. Its a Nikon correct?
        sigpic

Comment

Instead of just looking for what others recommend, and im in no way saying the other guys are wrong, get into a store, and hold the cameras themselves. Nikon and Canon, and any other SLR are very different to hold in hand. A camera that is too small in your hands will give you cramps if you use it alot, and a camera that is too big will cause you to not hold it properly, and not enjoy using it.

Forget the Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony vs. whoever else crap, and make sure what your buying, your comfortable using... It will make your shooting experience better, and help you to take better photos.
          www.brassmunkymedia.com.au

Oversteer Scares The Passengers, Understeer Scares The Driver

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor View Post
            Instead of just looking for what others recommend, and im in no way saying the other guys are wrong, get into a store, and hold the cameras themselves. Nikon and Canon, and any other SLR are very different to hold in hand. A camera that is too small in your hands will give you cramps if you use it alot, and a camera that is too big will cause you to not hold it properly, and not enjoy using it.

Forget the Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony vs. whoever else crap, and make sure what your buying, your comfortable using... It will make your shooting experience better, and help you to take better photos.
            this sounds like the best advise... as long as you go with a good name brand, most the features on the entry level cameras are pretty comparable, and after selling cameras (kits cameras) for a few years i can honestly tell you that no matter if you pick Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus etc. that it wont take long before you know if you want to keep shooting or not...

and that the brand is not the biggest thing to look at, sure some models have their quirks but if you purely choose on specs and recommendation you will never know what it feels like in your hand, which is far more important than which one has more mega pixels for how much money...

oh and if you are thinking about buying online i (as im sure many others will agree) recommend B&H

Comment

i love my d90. look into that maybe.

Comment

i just shoot an old rebel xti, and i can NOT navigate the menu on a d40. that is the most confusing dslr i've ever picked up. lol. i'd just get a cheap used body and a nice couple of lenses to compliment it. i **** seeing guys dump a bunch of cash on the latest and greatest gear, only to decide that they're not all that into it and it sit in a closet collecting dust. i always suggest that people keep the initial investment low before they really start to get into it.

Canon, Fuji, Mamiya, Minolta + Pentax.

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post

Are you using one ?
                  sigpic

Comment

stay away from the small ass cameras (rebels, DXX whatever)
                    go buy a 30/40/50d from canon, or a leter number D from nikon.

first, i **** when people say, buy the cheapest thing out there. Why? wasting money. image quality sucks something fierce, and you will do nothing but loose money on it from teh day you get it in a much faster rate than a newer camera.
                    second, technology in a year span is huge within cameras. you have a budget, use it. dont cheap out!

I fully support buying the best camera you possibly can to start with as a future investment. Yeah, you may loose interest. But then in 3 or r4 years, you will have a camera that is 3 or 4 years old, not 5 or 6.

i mean im still using my 1dmk3, and it came out in what, early 2007? there have been 18 different rebel cameras since then.
                    Disclaimer:
                    I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

you're completely wrong, Grant. but you already knew that. we've had this same discussion on every forum.

Canon, Fuji, Mamiya, Minolta + Pentax.

Comment

yeah we have, and i stick to it!
                        Disclaimer:
                        I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

Comment

i want a d90 bad!
                          -Jorge-

Comment

d90s are decent cameras. i use one at work sometimes when i want to remind myself why i stay canon
                            Disclaimer:

Comment

Hmm Canon Eos 500d / rebel t1i has worked pretty well in my use. I've also tried out some nikon dlsr's that are more pricey but I still think my canon can hold its own. It has pretty simple menus and functions, it won't take too long for you to become friends with it. Those being easy to use, it is so much nicer to try taking new kinds of pics or play around.

The only minus I have found in my 5 or so months of owning the cam, is the kit objective it came with. Ef-s 18-55 mm. It feels very plastic, and the manual focus ring sucks too bad. It is too easy to move around, no friction at all. But it still does it job, and you will get sharp pictures with it if you try enough.

And if youre into shooting videos, it does the job REALLY well. If you don't want to go fullHD (20 fps). I have been doing some bmx videos with it, and even though the conditions have been pretty dark, the quality is more than enough for my needs and the colors are pretty nice too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X