Post-processing tweaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-processing tweaks

I know there are many great photographers here and I'm sure many of us would appreciate your help on the postprocess. I feel like its just half of the whole process to take good pictures, the other half is the actual post-process.

I'm also aware that the ideal situation would be not to need any post-process tools (or very little) but the fact is that it's always required. So what I'm asking is advice on how to make the best of your pictures with maybe not so pro cam equipment?

My normal setup is Canon 400D with EF-S 17-85mm and I post-process with Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop.
    The usual adjustments I do is pretty much Auto tone with a little tweaking and I add some vibrance and perhaps some slight vignette. I feel that they are much better after but there is a alot room for improvements.

Very often the end result is something like this:

Without taking into consideration the camera/lens equipment what are the 'normal' things you do for post-process? The more detailed the better.

Thanks!

Clarity
    Contrast
    Saturation
    Blacks
    Fill Light
    White Balance

All in Lightroom 2.

Comment

My workflow is pretty basic.

Levels
      curves
      color balance
      hue/saturation
      burn/dodge
      clone
      sharpen

Comment

I'm VERY new to post processing.

Exposure
        Hue Sat
        Clone tool to erase crap

Anyone know a good write up on creating a macro in Photoshop CS2 for frames and signatures?

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by Exorcist View Post
          I'm also aware that the ideal situation would be not to need any post-process tools (or very little) but the fact is that it's always required. So what I'm asking is advice on how to make the best of your pictures with maybe not so pro cam equipment?

This isn't against you- this is my rant in general, and its to save/help you.

Anyone who says that kind of BS is ashamed that they cant do anything in post.
          To understand, we need to take a look at black and white film photography- the OG of photography. You will almost NEVER take a photo that you don't manipulate in the darkroom. Dodging, burning, and several other tweaks are all part of finishing the photograph.

All of those famous photos- yep. Countless hours in the darkroom trying to perfect them. You think Ansel Adams just "snapped" those pics because he somehow knew how to press the shutter button better?

Post processing is part of the process. A photograph isn't want comes out of the camera- it's a finished picture. "Lightroom" has its name because it's the opposite of the "Darkroom" (film vs. digital).

The objective of photoshop is to take the photo which came out of the camera and take it to where you want it to be.

Those guys who say "Oh, well he does a ton of photoshop to his images" simply don't understand that sometimes, the image you want to wind up with isn't possible to achieve without using those tools. Certain color bands, shadows, highlights, etc... it's all stuff that you want to bring out or tone down.

Now- some guys do take photoshopping images to the next level- IMO that becomes digital imaging, not photography, but the line between the two is very blurry. Its mostly opinion.

My philosophy is that you need to start with a good image to wind up with a great one. Personally, I mostly stick to the tools that are available to me in film photography.

My workflow is very simple- I'm often accused of heavy post processing (which honestly doesn't matter, if its heavy, its heavy- the comments come from others being jealous that they can't do the same type of processing and thus feel handicapped), but most of the time, my starting images are very similar to my final images.

Clarity
          Blacks
          Fill Light
          Burning & Dodging
          Color Adjustment

And then save.

I know that doesn't help much but I had to rant.

Comment

Mike:

Are all of those tools just in photoshop?

More specifically, I've never heard of "clarity, blacks, and fill light."

Comment

Originally posted by 87e30 View Post
              Mike:

Are all of those tools just in photoshop?

More specifically, I've never heard of "clarity, blacks, and fill light."
              It is the way of the .RAW

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
                It is the way of the .RAW
                God damnit. I used to shoot raw but when I'd upload them photoshop when never open them in the Raw editor so I never got the benefits. I'm really not sure what I'm missing... I should figure it out.

Comment

You should, it changes the way you shoot.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips. You've all been very helpfull.

The Clarity setting seems to help alot in many of my pictures. I've always been annoyed when the pics seem to look like there is a gray filter or fog or something. I've usually tried to cure this with contrast but the Clarity works much better without screwing the darker areas.

When you say you use Burning & Dodging tools how do use them? Do you 'burn' details off the background or dodge the object you're trying to bring up? Is there a tool for this in Lightroom.

Comment

.RAW is how to do it. Although Lightroom lets you adjust the above mentioned for .jpeg too, it just isn't the same.

Comment

I use paint shop pro x2, but I followed the instructions listed here, plus a little pm tutoring and am getting better.

Used the steps outlined in this thread and here is the before and after.

Comment

I think it looks great!

Comment

^^ ya good work.

I roll with a stock lens'd Rebel XT. Bottom of the barrel

I heart post processing

Comment

this is something i need to learn. right now 95% of my photos have no post edits because i have no clue what i am doing and i dont have photoshop. i have aperture but does not have the adjustments ps has.

Comment

Working...
                              X