Help me I.D. my spring rates (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me I.D. my spring rates (pics)

Reading threads about spring rates made me wonder what mine actually are... jacked up the car and took some pics. Can you guys I.D. my spring rates for me?

Thanks!

Rear:

Front:

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Detailing Dough --> College dues. Which leaves $____ for e36. D'oh.

Less than 650 lbs, I think that's when Eibach starts labeling the spring rates right on the spring. I am not sure if you can take those serial numbers and ask them what your rates are, but it's worth a shot.

Comment

Your rears are 7" tall with an 2.25 ID and 450# spring rate if I am reading it right.

And the fronts according to a google search are 6" tall with a 2.5" ID and 300# rate.
      ShakotanOscar.blogspot.com
      Fabulous Street Scene

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar View Post
        Your rears are 7" tall with an 2.25 ID and 450# spring rate if I am reading it right.

And the fronts according to a google search are 6" tall with a 2.5" ID and 300# rate.
        sweet. thanks a bunch!

I guess I am going to need stiffer and shorter coil springs if I'm going to get some wider spacers... any recommendations? I'm on bilstein sport shocks.

"Auto Detailing by Jake," servicing the Southern California auto enthusiast community.

Comment

Originally posted by Relax View Post
          Less than 650 lbs, I think that's when Eibach starts labeling the spring rates right on the spring. I am not sure if you can take those serial numbers and ask them what your rates are, but it's worth a shot.
          they are all labeled. you have to know what you are holding :P

Originally posted by TheJakeR View Post
          sweet. thanks a bunch!

I guess I am going to need stiffer and shorter coil springs if I'm going to get some wider spacers... any recommendations? I'm on bilstein sport shocks.
          id be weary of going shorter than 6" on the sports. if you are trying to go with a spring shorter than 6" in the front, you will be very close to bottoming out on the front struts. you could probably get away with a 6" spring in the rear and have a little travel left. ive tried a 5.5" spring in the rear and the bilstein shock was almost fully collapsed, although it was on an adjuster to raise it up some. if you are going with a spring rate greater than 450, id suggest looking into getting them revalved and shortened, if you want some controlled damping.
          Last edited by NegativeCamber; 12-29-2009, 02:02 AM.
          Originally posted by Kielan
          I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
            they are all labeled. you have to know what you are holding :P
            I learn something new everyday

...The more you know.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeCamber View Post
              id be weary of going shorter than 6" on the sports. if you are trying to go with a spring shorter than 6" in the front, you will be very close to bottoming out on the front struts. you could probably get away with a 6" spring in the rear and have a little travel left. ive tried a 5.5" spring in the rear and the bilstein shock was almost fully collapsed, although it was on an adjuster to raise it up some. if you are going with a spring rate greater than 450, id suggest looking into getting them revalved and shortened, if you want some controlled damping.
              Who revalves and shortens shocks? I've never delved into this area... are there local shops that do such work or would I have to send them back in to bilstein? Any special amount of shortening / revalving I need?

Comment

Originally posted by TheJakeR View Post
                Who revalves and shortens shocks? I've never delved into this area... are there local shops that do such work or would I have to send them back in to bilstein? Any special amount of shortening / revalving I need?
                yes, competent race shops that offer those services should be able to do it. bilstein offers the service for rebuilds for $65, iirc. not too long ago, there was a front set of bilstein struts going for $300, on bf.com race classifieds, valved for springs up to 700lbs/in. what i would do is probably look at what your ultimate goal is and determine if its worth doing or just go with a coilover setup that uses a shortened housing with an insert. (ie ground control or the like)
                Originally posted by Kielan
                I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Working...
                X