Camber for solid rear axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber for solid rear axle

It would be nice to get a little better rear fitmemt. I know it can be done to a small degree, whether it's heating the axle housing or making a slice in it bending it up then welding. First is 1-1.5 degrees of camber even gonna be a noticable difference?
    Anyone have any actuall pictures of it?
    Should of kept a junk miata I had and took the front and rear subframes to try to fab an IRS.

Dusty

Solid rear axle on RWD or FWD? This guy shimmed his rear hubs on his cobalt which has a solid rear axle: http://www.wrongfitmentcrew.com/foru...n-cobalt-again
    E53 4.4 Sterling Gray Metallic
    E36 M3 Mugello rot
    GEN2 TUNDRA CM
    https://instagram.com/carlmichaeljohnson/

Comment

Im looking for on a rwd. Yeah when theres no diff or axle, its easy to camber the rear with shims

Comment

I know that in racing camber can be added on a solid rear axle with heat applied to the top side of the axle housing with an acetylene torch till cherry red, let it cool. once it cools it will shrink that top side and create camber. make a diy camber gauge using a hinge and two 2x4's like an L sit it against your wheel to calculate how far you have gone. if u go to far, heat the underside which should bring it back. also dont use water to cool the axle housing as the metal might crack.

Comment

If your going to try the above post, I would drain all the fluid. Otherwise it will bubble, breakdown, and probably melt your seals. But can be done.

Comment

Yeah. shims are the normal way to get or fix camber(or toe) on a solid rear axle

you probably will hardly notice one degree of camber. you may see it slightly in the tire tread wear, but nothing really.
            Last edited by CHIF8008; 07-05-2012, 03:08 AM.
            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
            Got Drop??

Comment

Depending on the manufacturer, you can get just over 1-degree of camber or toe before the splines on the axle begin to bind in the diff. After that, the diff and shafts start chewing into each other, and it could get nasty.

A lot of circle track cars use quick-change rear ends, which are built with deeper splines and a bit more leeway for angled fitment, but I've never seen more than 2-degrees out of a crazy built solid rear.

What car/truck are you working with? There are some simple IRS setups out there that can be very easily fabbed to just about anything - I'm building a Ford Thunderbird 8.8" IRS to fit into my Mitsubishi Starion, which is going to realistically take very little to fab in.
              - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Originally posted by manjambles View Post
                I know that in racing camber can be added on a solid rear axle with heat applied to the top side of the axle housing with an acetylene torch till cherry red, let it cool. once it cools it will shrink that top side and create camber. make a diy camber gauge using a hinge and two 2x4's like an L sit it against your wheel to calculate how far you have gone. if u go to far, heat the underside which should bring it back. also dont use water to cool the axle housing as the metal might crack.
                If y'all don't mind a bump how much structural integrity would you be loosing if you did something like this?
                Originally posted by JC.
                'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

all of this sounds sketchy af. good thing my car doesn't have the suspension from a truck.

Comment

Just use shims.. They aren't sketchy and you can take them off if you get tired of the camber.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

A driven rear axle will not be able to use shims at all, only the heating/bending method, which I also do not suggest. Simply put, if you want camber, fab in an IRS.
                      - Bagged '98 Chevy S10 - Stock '88 Volvo 240DL - Broken '87 Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R - Also Broken '87 Shelby Lancer #707/800 -

Comment

Oh yeah, somehow missed the fact that it was rwd. IRS is the only way to go like others have said.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Get your wallet warmed up tho..

looks like 3 degrees is possible
                          http://www.raceproducts.net/camber-kits/

Comment

Been interesting for a while about the same problem. Just can't stand zero camber
                            I guess for me the only option (I own 940) would be getting rear suspension from 960s or something :/

Comment

Working...
                            X