Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its official, im confused... (bag over coilovers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its official, im confused... (bag over coilovers)

About bag over coilover set ups. Im thinking about it for my E36, So please correct me if im wrong.

The bag connects to the coilover in place of the spring, so you can control ride hight without removing the tire and turing wrenches, right? So it would be just like bags. As for parts, I would need universal bags to slip over the coilover, compressor, tank, switches, wiring, gauges.

Is there a build thread anywhere?

-Dan

correct it replaces the spring. So you can adjust the coils overs to a specific height than adjust from that point the airbags. Many lexus SC's use them. Pretty sure you would still have to remove the wheels to access the coil over collars to adjust the height location of the bag on the actual coilover.

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_snaps View Post
      correct it replaces the spring. So you can adjust the coils overs to a specific height than adjust from that point the airbags. Many lexus SC's use them. Pretty sure you would still have to remove the wheels to access the coil over collars to adjust the height location of the bag on the actual coilover.
      So if I set my coilovers to the lowest setting, I could adjust them to go higher inside the car by the bags? Im a complete n00b with this lol

-Dan

Comment

its really confusing to me also, but there are already some systems. look up ksport air suspension.

Comment

yes when the bags are fully deflated and your coilovers are spun all the way down than you will have your car sitting at you lowest setting and than can inflate the bags to raise the car up. You can adjust the car in a sense through the bags without ever needing to remove a wheel but will if you need to ever adjust the coilovers. I am thinking of doing this to my next car. Theres probably someone in here who could explain in full detail alot better than i can lol. Cambersc probably for sure, though im not sure if he used a bag over coilover solution on his old setup for his SC or if it was a full air bag suspension.

hit up club lexus or send an email to luxurymods.com they should be able to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by OMG TSX View Post
            its really confusing to me also, but there are already some systems. look up ksport air suspension.

Comment

This sounds perfect for what I need. When my coilovers are at its lowest setting, its perfect, but then when I come home from college/the beach pa roads suck and they tare up my bumper. So I want something where I can stay low but if im in a bad part of town, I can raise it up a bit.

-Dan

Comment

yeah these are systems designed for people wanting to be cheaper by using the shocks they already have with there coilovers, the bags just slip right over the shock replacing the spring making life easy. Definably know what you mean about those times wanting to raise it up haha instead of a) just hitting it and hoping nothing happens or b) finding another way around lol

Comment

Originally posted by ginger_snaps View Post
                  yeah these are systems designed for people wanting to be cheaper by using the shocks they already have with there coilovers, the bags just slip right over the shock replacing the spring making life easy. Definably know what you mean about those times wanting to raise it up haha instead of a) just hitting it and hoping nothing happens or b) finding another way around lol
                  haha theres this intersection right by my girlfriends house and i scrape hardcore every time. Theres a way around it, but I would still scrape. I would have to go the whole way around town just to get to a place where I could make it w/o scraping and thats a 10min drive. So I just let it scrape and every time my girlfriend yells at me saying im to low (like there is such a thing). But its just a lip so its fine haha. So this set up would be perfect for this and every time I decide to take the easy way and pray my lip dosent fall off.

Is there a kit I could get or would I have to by each part separate?

-Dan

Comment

hahaha no exactly what you mean. a 20 minute drive to work turned into a 35-45 minute trip starting the day i got my coils. My coils have lead me to roads i didnt even know existed just so i could get around like 1 bump lmao. Im not quite sure about the kit, your best bet is shoot someone like luxurymods an email and ask them. I know thats one company that supplies kits to the sc guys on clublexus.

Comment

I just need to know what bags to get. Everything else I can just get a kit that includes the tank, compressor, ect.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wheelfetish View Post
                        I just need to know what bags to get. Everything else I can just get a kit that includes the tank, compressor, ect.
                        Where do you plan on getting that from? just wondering...

Comment

Originally posted by Somethingoosted View Post
                          Where do you plan on getting that from? just wondering...
                          airassisted.com

-Dan

Comment

one thing to remember is that the top plate of the bag won't drop any lower then the top of the coilover housing. So you can't just wind your coils all the way down, slap a bag on it and call it a day. You will have absolutely no lift that way.

example~ AeroSports have a compressed height of 4" and an extended height of 9.25" so you have 5.25" of usable extension in the bag. In theory, you would want the bottom of the bag to site 4" down on the shock body so that when fully compressed, the top of the bag rests on the top of the shock body.

Now, this isn't always the case as you can move the bag around to adjust for pressures if you would prefer to have it a little stiffer at drive height. The last thing you want though is to run full pressure in order to get yourself up in the air. You will **** your life running bags at anything over ~ 60 psi.

remember, Bags don't make you go low, gravity does. Bags just give you lift.
                            “The first race was conceived when the second car was built.”

+ Josh @ BlownEuros

Comment

yeah but at the same time it still compromises much of the suspension advantages that coilovers provide. but if you're slammed on coilovers, the advantages arent really there anyways lol. but yeah i think that ksport suspension is next on my list for suspension upgrade later on.

Comment

Working...
                              X