Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E28 lowering with E30 parts

I dont know if it has been posted yet. But i found out the following:

E30 6 cyl (51mm) Koni shocks + E30 80mm lowering springs in E28 520i struts gives:

Owner says about 100mm lowering.

E30 60mm lowering springs on 535i gives 80+mm lowering, (probably stock shocks)

E30 springs and shocks are very cheap here in Europe: 120 euros for 4 shocks and 4 springs. Obviously you can only use the frontside on E28.

Now this sets me thinking: If E30 6 cylinder fits E28 fits. Then G60 bilstein will also fit?

What about welding cheap(er) coilovers in E28 struts (cheaper than E28)
    What's the diameter of a E36 strut? (180 euro's for new JOM E36 coilovers on Ebay.de)
    Maybe some VW stuff?

With our shared knowlegde we can help E28 spring cutters

In for info as I'm interested in the same thing!

Comment

I think when i researched it last, e24s (e28 based) have the same strut tube daimeter, like you said.

So, you can use e30 shocks, but you can also use the e30 iX inserts. These are 51mm, but about ~4 inches shorter than a regualr e30 strut because of the front axles. Bisltein HDs, valved the same as sports, are available in this size.

Hope this helps

Flickr

Comment

so why arent more people using e30 coils on e28s?

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

^rears are completely different. And there arent as many options for e30 coilovers as youd think

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
            ^rears are completely different. And there arent as many options for e30 coilovers as youd think
            I know the rears of e28's are true coilovers, but i thought the tubes were different sizes and that's why they didn't use e30 fronts. interesting stuff.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Thanks for the infos.

How much shorter is a stock e30 shock vs. stock e28 shock?
              (On Ebay germany there are shortened (about 20mm) E30 gas shocks (ta-technix) for sale at about 45 euros). I have them on my 2002 (45mm version) and it rides pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by JW77 View Post
                Thanks for the infos.

How much shorter is a stock e30 shock vs. stock e28 shock?
                (On Ebay germany there are shortened (about 20mm) E30 gas shocks (ta-technix) for sale at about 45 euros). I have them on my 2002 (45mm version) and it rides pretty well.
                A fella from one of the BMW sites put a standard E30 insert up to an e28 insert and found the E30 insert to be ~1inch shorter.

So:
                -E30 inserts for mild front modification (~ 1in shorter)
                -E30 IX inserts for a little more low (~3-4in shorter)

And if for some reason you need the length... Corrado G60 shocks are supposed to be 4inches shorter then standard E30 shocks. SO if you really need a shock that is 5in shorter on an E28... there you go. After that it just comes down to spring rate used.

The big question for me is what to use in the rear... I've heard that many chose to use E34 rear Koni's but they are supposed to be ~1inch longer. Bilstein Sports are available with the adjustable lower perch but I don't know what the dimensional difference is.

A shock that is 1-2 inches shorter would be perfect for most cars and keep a good bit of travel. I'm not sure what application that shock would come from though.

I've got an E30 GC/Koni set in the garage right now I'm trying to decide whether I wanna sell and get more E28 specific stuff or make it work...

Comment

Does this mean I can use e30 strut inserts on my e23 7 series and chop up my lowering springs?

Comment

Originally posted by D Unit View Post
                    Does this mean I can use e30 strut inserts on my e23 7 series and chop up my lowering springs?
                    No.

Comment

Most struts that use inserts from that era are the same size from what I've seen so far. You can also use Saab (90 I believe) inserts and MR2 inserts, I'm sure there are more. Just know that the inserts are valved for the original car, and will likely be much too soft for an e28/32.

Comment

I just used corrado g60 struts on my old e28 and currently on my e24. Fits perfectly and the strut ends where the bottom of the lower hat is welded on the strut housing

Comment

Originally posted by righteousrags88 View Post
                          I just used corrado g60 struts on my old e28 and currently on my e24. Fits perfectly and the strut ends where the bottom of the lower hat is welded on the strut housing
                          Which brand name did you use and how much were they?

Comment

I know this is a older thread but I just wanted to get some clarification. I have some e30 front shocks and lowering springs so can i just swap those in my e28 directly or what am I going to need to modify to have them run properly?

Comment

you can do 2 things, cut a piece out of the tube under the spring dish. and reweld it.
                              this is preferred becouse you ~1.5cm lower

or you fill the tube up with shims or whatever to get the shock tight. if you dont, its loose and you cant tighten it with the big nut that goes on top of the shock.

you'll see the difference in hight when you remove one stock shock and lay it next to the e30's schock.

edit: springs go 1:1 so no problem there

Comment

Working...
                              X