Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The woes of control arm bushings, tie rods, and axles, etc.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The woes of control arm bushings, tie rods, and axles, etc.....

Car in question: MKIV Jetta GLI
    Ive had the air in for about 3 weeks now and it seems like each day I learn something new/things I need to fix in the future. First and foremost I would like to re-align the struts in the towers, it seems as though one is not in perfect, giving the car some caster on the drivers side, not that it really matters, but Im a perfectionist and Ill fix it eventually.

Second: I got the frame notched and now for some reason my alignment is off on the passenger side (toes out) and when Im driving it pulls to the right. I feared that tie rod was bent but I'm on 18s and when Im aired out I can reach my hand under there and they dont seem to be touching the frame at all. I am going to align it and then go from there.

Third: Each time I air out I can hear something binding, I'm assuming it's the control arm bushings or the axle still, but the frame notch was more than plenty for space.

So, my questions for all you air ride guys out there:

What should I do about the bushings? OEM bushings are of course the most flexible but they will inevitably crack and tear just like the ones in there right now, and the Poly ones will be too stiff and wont give enough when I air out. So what should I do?

I have looked at the IDF control arms which eliminates the bushings and uses pillow balls I believe. They are perfect in every way except price. At $525 without ball joints, are these worth it?

Also, realistically, how long do I have until my axles are shot? Should I prepare to buy new ones?
Working...
X