• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on MkVs

Greetings Air Section of the forums!

I am ready to join you as I recently had to go from this:

To this:

And now this:

Since a year's worth of oil pans is not too far from the cost of air over a few years, I'm going to go with a kit from bag riders, I think. I've done a lot of research before, but I do not know what it takes to get an MkV Jetta to lay frame.

Does anyone have any advice, I've done searches, but I really want to have a discussion.

Thanks everyone!

54 views and no replies? Come on... Does anyone know a good build thread that still has pictures? Any advice?

No one is even going to tell me what a search button is? (even though I clearly know...) {irony}

Comment

Its not too different from your MK4, notch the frame and BAM.

some people have trouble with the rears but i believe airlift changed the design of the bag. If not there are control arms you can buy that don't have that deep of a pocket.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Thank you Jesus.

Comment

All you really need is a notch from what I can tell... You'll need the XL rears where you actually cut your rear spring perches off as well. I opted out of both of these two things and think it sits fine as it is.

Also smaller wheels! I have 19x8.5 BLQ's with 225/35/19's... So that doesn't help either, but it tucks nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
            Its not too different from your MK4, notch the frame and BAM.

some people have trouble with the rears but i believe airlift changed the design of the bag. If not there are control arms you can buy that don't have that deep of a pocket.
            Air Lift actually hasn't changed the rear design as of yet. They've switched the top plates of the tapered sleeve bags to be metal instead of plastic which could crack if you over tightened your fittings.

Originally posted by meijerbrantm View Post
            All you really need is a notch from what I can tell... You'll need the XL rears where you actually cut your rear spring perches off as well. I opted out of both of these two things and think it sits fine as it is.

Also smaller wheels! I have 19x8.5 BLQ's with 225/35/19's... So that doesn't help either, but it tucks nice.
            You actually don't need the Slam Series rears to lay out. I would recommend going with the Air Lift Performance rears so you don't have to cut off your upper spring perch. If you don't install the Slam rears perfectly, you will most likely have issues with your bags rubbing on your lca's. D-cups and universal bags are another popular option that will get you low.

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, I'm stopping by the shop that will be doing the install on Wednesday to talk to them.

Comment

I can help you with wheel specs if you want as well. Cant wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Thanks,
                  I'm going to go with what I have for right now, but I want to get some Rotiform BLQs (I think) in the fall. I was thinking 18s...

Comment

I have to lose the sway bar to lay frame, correct? That's what I read...

Comment

Is it really worth it to figure out a way to keep the front sway bar? or should it just be removed and that's it...? I don't plan on tracking it, but I would like it to handle well at highway speeds...
                      Last edited by MrJereMoose; 04-05-2012, 11:15 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by MrJereMoose View Post
                        Is it really worth it to figure out a way to keep the frond sway bar? or should it just be removed and that's it...? I don't plan on tracking it, but I would like it to handle well at highway speeds...
                        not worth the extra bucks for the adjustable end link that you will get fed up with and throw out anyway.

ive never seen a mk5 keep it, yank that thing.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

I think Phil is running air with sways. He tracks his though.

Comment

I'm running Airlift XL's up front and Airhouse 2's / D Cups in the rear on my mk5 jetta. I'd go with either Koni or Bilstein rear shocks. I'm running Koni's and they ride great.

Took the sway out, notched the frame and sectioned out my front fender liners. Lays frame no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post
                              not worth the extra bucks for the adjustable end link that you will get fed up with and throw out anyway.

ive never seen a mk5 keep it, yank that thing.
                              those adjustable endlinks are so fucking loud too.
                              Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Working...
                              X