Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleanest way to fit these as close as possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleanest way to fit these as close as possible?

Hey guys

I currently have some Hamann Motorsport PG's 18x9 and 18x10 on my E39

I'm running a 235/40-18 in the front and a 265/35-18 in the rear(Michilen PS2's). They roll nicley and fit well. They do rub here and there. The rear fenders are rolled and flared(very little). But they lip on the fender is still thick, which stops me from putting any spacers.

I would like to basically have the rim flange aligned with the fender. Should I grind down the fender lip or flare the hell out them? I can roll the front lip on my fenders for a but more clearnace.

Here is how it looks as of today.

Front wheel

Rear wheel

Best suggestions on how to get these fitting on spot?

What tire sizes should I run to space them out a bit and go lower?
    Thanks guys!
    Last edited by JackEatsEmoKids; 12-18-2009, 10:29 AM.
    -BMW Master Technician

Oh nom nom nom....

Tho, why dont you run stretched tyres then mesure and space them out for flushness? or pokeage.
    -Instagram@jdjurhuus
    Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

I don't want to go any smaller in width.

I know the Falken ZE512 in these sizes stretch nicley since they run small. But I can't justify buying new tires right now. Also, I don't want an extreme stretch, just a mild one where I can put the rim flang right at the fender.
      -BMW Master Technician

Comment

oh yes. i like that. got a thing for the e39. very nice mate. no idea how to roll the arches without a hammer and dolly and then a re-paint as the lips are so thick though.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedogg View Post
          oh yes. i like that. got a thing for the e39. very nice mate. no idea how to roll the arches without a hammer and dolly and then a re-paint as the lips are so thick though.
          I was thinking of grinding or cutting that lip off. Plus Im going to refinish the wheels as soon as i can get some spares to drive on for a week or two.
          -BMW Master Technician

Comment

Bump?
            -BMW Master Technician

Comment

i think it looks pretty good as is, but if you want the lips to sit more flush to the fenders, you'll probably have to size down on your tire and run a small spacer. if that's not possible, try running a spacer and some camber to gain the necessary clearance between the tire and the fender. alternatively, if you want to flare more, get the wheel to where you want it to be (in relation to the fender) and grab some newspapers, stick it between the tire and the fender, and jump on the car. you'll get the clearance and the stance you want, at the risk of distorting your fenders if you jump on it too much or use too much newspaper.

Comment

running smaller tires > cutting up your fenders IMO

Get a 215/40 for the front and then use your 235/40's for the rear. That way you only need to buy 2 tires
                Ben Purkiss Design
                My Design Blog

Comment

god damn thats good looking.

Comment

i'd just grind down the fender lip

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

There is no way those are negative offsets. Is that just a typo?
                      Real name is James

Comment

Originally posted by KarlSpackler View Post
                        There is no way those are negative offsets. Is that just a typo?
                        he is probably switching the -/+ around

But yeah I would say get some smaller tires or grind down the fender and throw some 10-15mm spacers on.

Comment

Originally posted by Neb View Post
                          running smaller tires > cutting up your fenders IMO

Get a 215/40 for the front and then use your 235/40's for the rear. That way you only need to buy 2 tires
                          215's would look really really small on such a large car like a e39.
                          my name is andy.

Comment

Just cut off that bubble in the rear. BMW's super thick fender lips are so stupid, I'm cutting mine off when I get the chance. But you'll probably still want like a 245 on the back though to get real flush.
                            ShakotanOscar.blogspot.com
                            Fabulous Street Scene

Comment

its an e39, keep it all business

Comment

Working...
                              X