Nic's Nolte Starring in "Operation Motor Lift"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nic's Nolte Starring in "Operation Motor Lift"

You all know I have oil pan problems. The motor swap, done ages ago, was accomplished during a time in my life when I was interested in going fast. I wanted to put the M42 as low in the engine bay as possible. Little did I know this would result in a broken oilpan roadside some 8 years later. You live, you learn... then you make stuff.

I'd like to introduce the nolt. Half bolt, half nut.

The nolt is the solution to a problem I've been having while trying to lift the motor in the E21. The easiest way to accomplish lifting the motor is to shim it. The issue was two fold. The studs on the motor mounts were not long enough to accommodate a large shim, and I need a LARGE shim. I checked the clearances on the hood and decided that I could lift the motor a half an inch without any fitment problems. It seemed like a nice number. So here is my motor mount with a half inch "shim".

How does one put a nut on that kind of stud protrusion? Get the half a turn and pray for the best? The nolt will help. Watch, as the nolt solves my problem.

I had to use the other bolt and nut to install the nolt. It's takes a 7/8ths socket which would mean I would have to drill a hole larger than 1". The 1" hole I drilled lets the nolt go through. I have detail photos but it's boring.

When I put it in... just to be safe I used some loctite red.

Where does the nolt come from Nic? Where can I get one? You can't! I made it.

I didn't take pictures of me tapping it... but I think you get the idea. Anyway, the engine is a half inch higher than it was before. Almost in line with the crossmember so I think all I need now is a skid plate and I'll be happy.

I had a productive day... I think I can put my shoes away now.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Very slick.
    I wish I had access to that type of stuff! Including that chasm of a wheel you're using as a shoe rack...

Originally posted by dav3design
    ...I have only just cottoned on to what is happening. lol

Comment

so dreamy

Comment

Nolt = Very nice, and very crafty
        Wheel = MOTHER OF GOD!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheStig View Post
          Wheel = MOTHER OF GOD!!
          My thoughts exactly.

Please, oh king of E21s, please tell me that wheel is a teaser of things to come.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Is that wheel a BBS RH with the face in backwards???

Comment

looks like an RS with a backwards barrel acting as a lip, if i'm not mistaken.
              1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
              Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

It's a face mounted RS Center with two barrels. I call it "Double Barrel Shotgun". I think the final width is 11.5"
                Last edited by TheNeek; 12-15-2009, 10:59 AM.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Nice work on the machining. One reason why I miss high school. I took metals, metal tech, welding and everything else that put my in the welding/machine shop. Miss using the CAD/CAM machines and such. Don't have anything to make stuff anymore

Comment

Nic, you're so smart

Comment

Originally posted by TheStig View Post
                      Wheel = MOTHER OF GOD!!
                      its just flipped

regardless
                      outstanding creativity for sure.
                      Disclaimer:
                      I am rude, opinionated, and sometimes come off as a dick. I am just speaking my mind. If it offends you, PM me. Don't go whine to someone else. I am civil, talk to me, just dont be stupid.

and USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

Comment

Working...
                      X