Raising an engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising an engine

So my cars quite low and I've just broken my sump for the second time. Decided a good option will be to lift the engine and then fit a sump guard, I can make the sump guard but I don't know what to use to lift the engine?

Any help greatly appreciated

I've heard of using lots of washers, but other then that maybe like a shim under the mounts? curious as well actually
    1999 SL2 Saturn Build rip
    1998 EK hatch Civic Build

Comment

I thought about using washers but I didn't want to attempt something before knowing the facts

Comment

you can use washers, but only enough to bring the pan above the subframe. i think i have two on both sides and my sump sits above it. Any higher and you will greatly effect the geomerty on the drive train

i have a M20- so your M40 may sit different
        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
        Got Drop??

Comment

I'm actually quite interested too... I have an M10 in my E21 and I'd love to raise it because it hangs under the subframe and I'm hitting it quite often. I really don't want to screw up the geometry though... What would be the risk? The angle of the gearbox to the driveshaft?

Comment

when you shim the motor only on the front (depending on how much) it will cause bad vibrations in the drive train.

You end up with the number 3. if you want to raise the engine, the right way to do it, is also raising the gearbox. so you end up with figure nr2.

Good luck with the project.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

It won't be much, just enough so I get can a sump guard under there

Comment

This thread has been at the top for a while i feel like.
                are you deciding against the washers?

Comment

simple answer is taller motor mounts and shorter tranny mounts.

the canadian e30 with the sr20 had a crazy lifted engine, its look as if he has like a 3 on that graph and he drives the car everywhere.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Watch out for that drive shaft angle! Ask me how I know.

IG: PavelKostyurin

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post

the canadian e30 with the sr20 had a crazy lifted engine, its look as if he has like a 3 on that graph and he drives the car everywhere.
                      Would that mean making taller motor mounts tho?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesus Christ View Post

sr20 sit wicked high compared to M20. But I think that you can raise the M20 about .5inch before there are any major drivetrain conflicts.
                        Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

This is an M40. Think M40's sit lower than M20's

Comment

I used like 4 washers and mine drives fine. Havent noticed any vibrations or anything

Comment

I guess I'll try the washer thing. If there's vibrations or anything nasty like that I'll just take some out

Comment

Working...
                              X