How many coils cut to go this low? Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard. [Pic Inside]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many coils cut to go this low? Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard. [Pic Inside]

Ride quality doesn't bother me plus I'm saving for new struts and springs so I might as well have fun with the old setup. I threw this Photoshop together (haven't painted the wheels white yet) and I'm curious as to how many coils would have to be cut to achieve this height?

Stock:

Where I'd like to be:

I don't want to hear the whole "don't cut your springs" bullshit because I already know the scenario. I'm just looking for an answer.

1983 528e, 230,xxx miles, Alpine weiss. M20B25 swapped
    my tumblr.
    What the f**k is a build thread?

Do yourself a favor and just don't cut the springs. Besides nobody will be able to tell you how many coils to cut and you can't cut progressive springs. Not sure if the rears of the e30 are the same a e36. But almost positive you can't cut progressive springs.

Comment

Runningpanda on here only had 2 coils all around on his e28, stock suspension. Got Splits? Now has the car.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by oHSo EuRo View Post
        Do yourself a favor and just don't cut the springs. Besides nobody will be able to tell you how many coils to cut and you can't cut progressive springs. Not sure if the rears of the e30 are the same a e36. But almost positive you can't cut progressive springs.
        It's neither an e30 or e36 so how is that relevant..? There's a lot of guys with this car that run cut springs just fine. I know I can cut them and like I said, I don't want to hear the bullshit about why I shouldn't. I just don't care.

my tumblr.

Comment

Originally posted by FunfGang View Post
          Runningpanda on here only had 2 coils all around on his e28, stock suspension. Got Splits? Now has the car.
          His is a tad low for my tastes (and roads ) so I might go with 1 or 1 and a half.

my tumblr.

Comment

Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
            It's neither an e30 or e36 so how is that relevant..? There's a lot of guys with this car that run cut springs just fine. I know I can cut them and like I said, I don't want to hear the bullshit about why I shouldn't. I just don't care.
            Originally posted by nickskater09 View Post
            His is a tad low for my tastes (and roads ) so I might go with 1 or 1 and a half.
            Sooo let me get this right... you don't care about anyone opinions but you want our opinion about how much you should cut... but you don't want to cut too much because your roads are shitty and you don't want to lower it too much because you don't care about anything.

Why not just start cutting and cut off a coil, then another coil, then another coil until you've hacked up the whole spring into individual coils at which point you'll be forced to by some proper suspension

Follow Me On Instagram! @jvc8790 #jvcphotography

Comment

Well I do not know about this model, but on cars that will accept cut springs (they are out there) your best bet (its a pain but its worth it) is take an afternoon, and cut a half coil at a time, install, lower the car down and see where its at. It is deff worth it if you are looking for a specific height
              Originally posted by JC.
              'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post
                Sooo let me get this right... you don't care about anyone opinions but you want our opinion about how much you should cut... but you don't want to cut too much because your roads are shitty and you don't want to lower it too much because you don't care about anything.

Why not just start cutting and cut off a coil, then another coil, then another coil until you've hacked up the whole spring into individual coils at which point you'll be forced to by some proper suspension
                | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by JVC View Post

I'm not asking how much as an opinion, I'm asking if anyone knows how many to get this general ride height.

my tumblr.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
                    Well I do not know about this model, but on cars that will accept cut springs (they are out there) your best bet (its a pain but its worth it) is take an afternoon, and cut a half coil at a time, install, lower the car down and see where its at. It is deff worth it if you are looking for a specific height
                    Thank you, that's probably what'll end up happening.

my tumblr.

Comment

No problem man! I know how frustrating it can be to get a good straight answer about stuff like this......
                      Originally posted by JC.
                      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

2 in the rear, 3 up front. Stick ya head under there with a tape measure and the car on the ground, measure how much of a gap there is between coils. Cut accordingly.
                        Deathsquad mofo.

Comment

i started with 2 all around, rode a little stiffer than stock, overall pretty good.

X2

then went to a total of -3 in the front and 3 1/2 in the back. rode good. until the front shocks blew (but i have a plan)

Picture 505

still very reasonable

Picture 517

excuse the winter mode in the pics. Im currently rigging up some coilover sleeves front and rear for cheap, with g60 rado shocks up front.

Build Thread

Comment

I've decided to buy a good set of lowering springs for daily use, then take the stock springs and cut them as low as (reasonably) possible for shows and fun. Whenever I've got a show or meet weekend coming up, just throw on the low lows. Anybody think this is a good or bad idea from a mechanical standpoint?

my tumblr.

Comment

cut 3.5 in the front, and remove your bumpstops.
                              and cut the rear spring in half with no bumpstops.

do it, you won't.
                              "on our way back i hit a bump and both of the springs slip off of their seats and slashed both of my front tires."

-Dane M

If your not doing this, your doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X