Straight Pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Pipes

One of the baffles in my exhaust (Scorpion if you're wondering) apparently got loose in the muffler somehow, so at idle it rattles like a bish and sounds terrible. Since I'm on a really low budget at the moment, and don't really plan to spend a huge amount of cash on exhaust anyways, I'm considering having a shop fab me up a straight pipe setup from the cat back.

I could also just cut my muffler open and gut it, then weld it back shut... but I'm hesitant to do that cause I don't want to end up with an exhaust leak.

Opinions?
    Originally posted by da3bous
    I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

It'll be really, really loud. I'd at least keep the resonators and just do a muffler delete.

Comment

I had to take off my muffler and I'm running straight pipe with resonator and it actually isn't too bad. Then again I'm on a Scion xb, but it's only slightly louder than my greddy.

Comment

Originally posted by B Rod View Post
        It'll be really, really loud. I'd at least keep the resonators and just do a muffler delete.
        Probably the plan. I think I'll just get some pipe thats the right size and have them welded in to replace the muffler?

Comment

hahaha i been thinkin about that, however i get cops on me quite often-_-... dont need a fix it ticket but kinda like fuxit who care right? haha

BAR / TheIllu510nEvo<-- check it out

Comment

i had straight pipes for awhile (straight 2.5" piping from the header, nothing else)

i lasted a week before I couldn't stand it, I have a cut-out and stock exhaust now.

Comment

I had a 93 325i, 5 speed and an intake. It wasnt loud enough and had some exhaust noise, so i unbolted the muffler, put it inside, and called it a night. That sound turned me on everytime i was at WOT, or when i would start it haha. Some however might not find it suitable. But its funny when you are in an older stock looking bmw you dont get pulled over for much
              sigpic

Comment

lol well i got it done today 50 bucks, shit is stupid loud, but its cooooollll

Comment

my muffler strap broke and caused my muffler to drag and wear a hole in itself.

so i cut the piping as close to my muffler as i could and its really nice and crisp sounding(with surprisingly little rasp)

granted im driving an m20 powered e30 but you get the idea.

edit- m50/m52's get really raspy, so you might get annoyed if you run a true straight pipe from the cat back....

Comment

I had a hole in the large rear muffler of my car. So... I still have the cat and resonator in place, but 2.5" straight pipe from the rear diff all the way out the back. Not too loud inside, apparently it's real loud outside, though. I haven't heard it from the outside, too cold to roll with the windows down, as well.

Sounds like a farm tractor at idle, but sounds awesome through the rest of the rev range. Can't say it would sound the same for an E36, though.

Comment

Still considering it

Comment

It is just loud and will drone and will wear off quickly. The younger you are the longer you will be able to put up with it.

I built a 3in exhaust for my E36 M3 racecar with just a Borla XR-1 Sportsman muffler. Was so annoying driving anywhere. 2 weeks later a Random Technology 18" resonator went in. Totally transformed the sound and results. Just better.

E30 I did something similar and already regret it. Generic muffler and high flow cat. it is just plain too loud and annoying. Adding another resonator to keep things civil. Sure you will make a lot of noise but who is it going to impress? Dudes as you blast from stop light to stop light?

300ish ships buys you a UUC System U rep off ebay... do it. Sounds great and fitment is an 8/10. I have a rep of a rep put out by Vibrant on the 328iC. Sounds phenomenal and isn't fawking annoying.

Comment

I did straightpipes when i did my subframe. Sounded beastly and badass.

Horrible for getting called to jury duty and driving in the cop filled government center.

Pop it off and drive around for a little bit with the catback off or wherever to get it out of your system

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Jamil View Post
                            lol well i got it done today 50 bucks, shit is stupid loud, but its cooooollll
                            Na its quiet.

Comment

lol fucker, na but really freeway speeds or cruising it just quiets like REALLY quiet which is awkward because most of the time it has that deep growll going on. only the muffler is gone

Comment

Working...
                              X